Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trimming spurs  (Read 2824 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Trimming spurs
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:27:41 pm »
My Cockerel is a huge beast and now has the spurs to match. How do I go about trimming them down?

I've seen things online about hot potatoes, pliers, clippers and metal files but wasn't sure what was best. What do you all do?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Trimming spurs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:43:55 pm »
I read about it on backyard chickens.
As far as I remember I you cut them it's like cutting claws, I. E. It will bleed heavily. Maybe you can just file the tips so they are not so sharp???
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »
Might be worth trying soaking them in warm water.  Once the spurs are soft enough you may be able to remove the outer hard layer, a bit like taking the outer coating off a broad bean.  If you cut them do it a millimetre at a time and stand by with plastic wound spray.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
Here's a picture of one of his spurs, it's not great but it shows how long they are. I think it is the length that worries me, for in case he goes for anyone and for it interferring with his walking. Last season he took the feathers off the backs of our two Cream Legbar hens but they were his favourite. We are getting some more hens so that should spread his attentions.

The warm water sounds good, does it just peel off [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member] ?

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:20:09 am »
Should do - as I understand it it's how they prepare cockerels in the US for show.  The older the bird the bigger they get but the length of the spurs can give this away, so they make them look younger - the cockerel equivalent of a facelift.  You can get poultry saddles to protect the hens he favours, or if you can separate them off for a while he may select others.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 02:56:30 pm »
I used to use a bench grinder. Grind it down and keep checking. You'll see it pinkish before get to the blood. Think I drew blood a handful of times, but only a pinpricks worth.

If he gets to causing harm, it's useful to know hens are sperm storers. To lay fertile eggs they don't have to mate before each egg is laid, one mating results in fertile eggs for something like 14 days (don't remember exactly). So if you have another run/house, you can shut your boy off hens apart from couple of days a week or so and still hatch out all the eggs.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
Forget the hot potato Dans, that's just painfully burning them off and it leaves a very delicate quick behind.

The length to trim we have found is breed dependent. Take anything off our Wyandottes and they bleed but we can take half off the Leghorns or the Orpingtons. So it's going to be a case of very careful inspection with a torch shone through to see where the blood extends to. If in doubt don't risk it as they bleed profusely.

The method we have used for years now is to cut with a fine toothed junior hacksaw blade, pulled backwards. Spurs are very hard like Ivory and splinter easily if you try using secateurs, pliers, clippers or the like. Then to finish round the edges with a metal file. It's a two person job.

You can buy saddles for the hens to protect them from damage.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »
So if his spurs aren't damaging the girls then they are ok at that length? I was worried I was failing him in a welfare aspect by letting them get so long. But it sounds like others don't regularly trim.

He gave his two favourite girls a bald patch last year but didn't cut them. We bought them saddles which stopped any further loss and will be quicker to use them this year.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:07 pm »
The cockerel doesn't have to be left with them all day.  He can just be put in for a few hours every other day.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 11:30:10 pm »
For us he does more than just mate with them though. They free range and he finds them food, rounds up errant hens, keeps the girls in line and chases/stands off with anyone he thinks might be a threat (geese, cats etc). Fertile eggs are just a bonus (although looking at the size of him I am looking forward to eating his offspring).

We only pen up the chickens when they are new/young or recently for bird flu.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS