Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving 2 sheep across a road  (Read 4970 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Moving 2 sheep across a road
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:20 am »
One thing if you want to halter train them - get a decent halter!

We started off with the ones made from white rope, and found them to be worse than useless. I then made one out of polypropylene webbing, like a small horse head collar, and it's been absolutely brilliant.

It was really easy to make, too. Just a loop of webbing sized to fit around the nose, then joined to another incomplete loop which goes under the chin, up behind the ears and then fastens and tightens using a quick release buckle. It cost me about £2 and half an hour to make, and has given three years of service so far.  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sadlerlou

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
I have to move mine up and down a quiet lane occasionally. I have bucket trained them (jacobs) so that i can move them up and down on my own. The most dominant ewe gets her head in the bucket and the rest follow :) the older ewes then trained the ewe lambs for me about following the bucket! I also take a stick to keep them behind me as they like to power walk up to the nice new grass  :D

I would suggest a halter as the others have said on this occasion just in case, good luck!

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:02:32 pm »
http://llugwy-farm.co.uk/

Very good, very helpful people.
We use the halters for showing and movement around the fields when needed.
Zwartbles seem born to be good!!!!!

Murg

• Joined Feb 2017
  • N Ireland
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 02:42:08 pm »
I have six which i take across a road regularly, i was apprehensive at first but i just fill a bucket with feed and they follow me across.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:07 am »
Well I tried with the halter and we didn't get more than a step away from the pen before it looked like a scene from a rodeo. Thankfully got her back in the pen in probably under a minute and we dragged (literally) the trailer around. They loaded easy as pie and we pushed the trailer across the road where they are happily munching on grass.

I want figure out this halter thing at some point but may be it would be better to try with younger sheep. Thank you all for your advice.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 08:46:47 am »
How many kgs? Can your hubby not just scoop up and carry in arms??

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
Well I tried with the halter and we didn't get more than a step away from the pen before it looked like a scene from a rodeo. Thankfully got her back in the pen in probably under a minute and we dragged (literally) the trailer around. They loaded easy as pie and we pushed the trailer across the road where they are happily munching on grass.

I want figure out this halter thing at some point but may be it would be better to try with younger sheep. Thank you all for your advice.

Dans

Easiest way to halter train adult sheep is to put the halter on them and tie them to something substantial for a couple of hours, where you can keep an eye on them. You may need to do this for a couple of days (sometimes once is enough) but it teaches them that they cannot fight the halter and they should then lead quite quietly. It is important when first leading them to keep them on a very short rein so they can never get sufficient momentum going to actually pull you about. If you give them plenty of rope then they get the chance to build up speed and you end up with a rodeo - as I believe you have found out!
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »
Halter training is easy - take the horse whisperer approach: a firm pull (keeping the pressure on the rope) then wait until they move forward (even one step) - reward that forward movement by slacking the rope, and then repeat.  Be patient and calm, and try to stay still so as not to frighten them.  After just a few minutes you should see progress.  Start at the end of the rope and as they improve you can get closer.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 10:11:29 pm »
Difficult to tell, when a wild sheep is at the other end of a rope, when it is actually taking a step forward. More likely it's moving backwards, forwards, up, down and every which way in rapid succession. When it is in rodeo mode it won't even notice that you've given it some slack and certainly won't regard it as reward! 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 10:54:33 pm »
Difficult to tell, when a wild sheep is at the other end of a rope, when it is actually taking a step forward. More likely it's moving backwards, forwards, up, down and every which way in rapid succession. When it is in rodeo mode it won't even notice that you've given it some slack and certainly won't regard it as reward!
I've tamed plenty of bucking broncos this way :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS