Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get rid of a fox???  (Read 7636 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
How to get rid of a fox???
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:07 am »
Today at 7.30am I went to open and feed the birds as usual.
Then I saw a fox holding one of my la bresse hens which I just bought last Friday!!!!
It killed all of them except for one hen and the cock.
Thank God didn't touch the geese or ducks.

The most interesting part is how it got in!
I could find any holes or gaps in the walls. In fact I just repaired them and extended the run. All the sides would keep a dinosaur in or out - bloody vixen climbed over the roof - damaged tarpaulin with its claws. She must have taken the chickens one by one over the roof.
I absolutely hate them! Hate them! Bloody foxes!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:06:59 am by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How to get rid of a fox???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:10 am »
I am really sorry about your loss. Also really sorry to read your last line.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
I am really sorry about your loss. Also really sorry to read your last line.
I am sorry too. Foxes are really beautiful animals but I am really upset now and really really don't want to see them near my property.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:06:24 am »
Electric netting is the only answer, mains powered, and the grass under the netting kept short. (and clip the birds wings, so they don't fly out....)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:47 am »
a gun

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:53 am »
Do you have a local gamekeeper? They may be able to help.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:03 am »
We are in the city. No shotguns allowed. Only air rifle, but that is not allowed on foxes

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:11 am »
We are in the city. No shotguns allowed. Only air rifle, but that is not allowed on foxes

ah. that's different then... you didn't mention that in the OP.

Hugh FW tried an experiment at the 1st river cottage (where he has chicken houses on stilts) where he got human hair from the local barber and hung bunches in stockings around the chicken area - the theory being that foxes hate human smell. I suspect this would not work as well in the city though.

One thing is for sure, the fox now knows you have a food source. you could try and trap it in a livetrap... then drive 50 miles away into the wilderness and do as you will (shoot/release). I suspect the local animal rescue types probably do this occasionally (they certainly did it in London), but I doubt they will do it by request... you could always ask them.

Yes, mulling it over some more I'd recommend buying a fox trap by mail order, get up very very early in the morning to check it, and drive it to the country. Otherwise the fox is coming back for your chickens.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
I'll lock the chickens tonight in the smaller coop but not sure what to do with ducks and geese. It will try to climb over the roof tonight as well, I'm sure.
Just ordered net to stretch over the whole run but it's gonna take at least couple of days before it arrives. Tonight I'll try to lock them up safely in a shed maybe?
I actually caught a fox in a live trap before but they are very smart! It was a young one in the summer - this is their mother who spent whole life in the city living between humans and cars. Hard opponent I suppose.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »
Country side dwellers would not be impressed by this solution,many have lost birds for the first time to displaced urban Fox's.  The urban Fox is not as timid as a country Fox, they are used to people and hunting in daylight and are seasoned into breaking into enclosures. They also seem to gather into small packs.

Angie

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:59 pm »
Sometimes a farmer returning home late at night around here has spotted 12 or more foxes wandering around a layby, with a white van speeding off into the distance.  We suspect they're being dumped by vermin control companies.  They're much more confident and often hang around farmyards during the day (which the local foxes don't) and are suffering from mange, which is passed onto the farm dogs. 

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36:27 pm »
Yes, mulling it over some more I'd recommend buying a fox trap by mail order, get up very very early in the morning to check it, and drive it to the country. Otherwise the fox is coming back for your chickens.

Giving someone else the problem.  Nice.  Dump your old mattresses while you're out there, too ;)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 01:41:59 pm »
Yeah. Let it eat someone else's chickens lol
OK but realistically what should I do with a fox if I manage to catch it alive? Always wanted to make a collar or a hat for my wife lol
Are other types of traps, e.g. snares, allowed???
Honestly I need to get rid of that fix now. She's probably nursing babies at the moment that's why I see her a lot.
Can't get a guardian dog sadly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:19:30 pm »
Foxes will patrol every night once they know where the larder is.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:34:23 pm »
I didn't say I'd release it feed on someone else's chickens... I'd arrange to meet a gatekeeper and leave it with them! Haha.

As to what to do once you've caught it... it depends how bloody you want to get. Do you know any gun owners in the countryside? If not then you are into something that can kill it without you having to open the cage. Believe me... a caged fox is not a friendly creature. I once caught one by accident in a Larson trap set for magpies... there was no way I was sticking my hand in there!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS