Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg hatching.....the birds and the bees  (Read 2298 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Egg hatching.....the birds and the bees
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
Ok, so without wanting to sound totally naive I am hoping someone can help clarify something for me.

I've got a number of chicken breeds and couple of different cockerels. All hens and cockerels free range together.

I've bought myself a brinsea incubator, but wanted to try and hatch some pure breeds.

So as my cockerels do what they are meant to be doing and mating with the hens, how long would I need to isolate the hens with the same breed cockerel for them to have a chance of being pure breed fertilised eggs.

So basically is one fertilised egg the outcome of the previous days mating?

Thanks, hopefully you aren't laughing too much lol :excited: :excited:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Egg hatching.....the birds and the bees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »
You should separate them for at least couple of weeks. After one mating a hen can lay a whole clutch of fertile eggs - around 15, as this is how many are developing inside her at any given time.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:30 am »
I have read hens can store enough sperm for three weeks.

Helen

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:01 am »
You would also need to keep the hens on their own for a couple of weeks after removing them from the flock, as the first eggs they lay will have been fertilised by any cockerel.  Then add the cockerel you want to use, and keep them together while they are producing as many pure eggs as you want.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:07:20 am »
I was told 3 weeks was usually sufficient.

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:31:27 am »
Excellent help. Thank you

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »
I always go for a month but I do sell a few eggs. For my own hatching I would risk a couple weeks. You'll soon tell if any of the chicks are not pure.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:26:03 am »
On the other hand, the incubation period is also 3 weeks and then you'll be waiting to collect new eggs for a week or two so if I were you I'd incubate a few random eggs now to check your conditions and systems.

It's good to have practice at stuff like candling eggs, useful to know the height heat lamp needs to be at, how often brooder needs to get cleaned, water changed (water bottles much easier than conventional waterers imo), etc,). Once chicks are up and going I've mixed batches together, so if there were 3/4 weeks between batches, by the time they're say 2 and 6 weeks should be fine in together, so long as there's plenty food/space. Never mix older chicks with brand newly hatched chicks as the big ones bully and can kill the baby new ones.

There's always a market for pullets, cross breds too, but do you have a plan for your unwanted boys? I used to be able to shift the odd pure bred cock but mostly had to cull - it's worth having a plan before hand. (My plan was to kill unwanted boys as early as possible and give to a local hawk keeper - I tried raising some for meat but there was nothing on them).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS