Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting sheep's hooves  (Read 1538 times)

Ian.mccarthy@hotmail.co.u

• Joined Sep 2016
Cutting sheep's hooves
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:21:05 pm »
I have accidentally cut one of my sheep's hooves too deeply and blood spurted out.  I applied iodine and some tar to seal it.  Also sprayed antibiotic.  Feel very upset as I do my utmost to give them a good life - we have five sheep and they're our pets and I look after them to the best of my ability.  Can someone advise please?

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Cutting sheep's hooves
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:14:29 pm »
I would say you've done everything you can and the sheep should be fine, it might be worth bringing them in for a couple of days on a clean dry bed (I did this with mine) as it gives it chance to heal without getting mud, stones etc in it.
I did something similar yesterday, we only have 6 pet ewes who have just produced our first lovely bunch of lambs. one of them had a slight runny bum so I was bathing it, a couple of bit had dried so I very carefully trimmed the fleece of and accidentally cut the lamb. I felt terrible (the lamb didn't even notice) but I just bathed it with the disinfectant and applied antibiotic spray, seems to be healing and the lamb is running around none the wiser !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
I suggest holding the footshears flat against the sole of the foot - that way you'll always have the thickness of the lower blade as a safety cushion.  Don't cut around the "bulb" at the back of the clee, unless it's torn and just needs a tag taken off to stop it ripping further.  This will keep the horn layer under a degree of tension and help prevent shelly hoof.  If you're on sandy or rocky soil they won't need much trimming - it's not something I do routinely, just tidying up when necessary.

Ian.mccarthy@hotmail.co.u

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »
Thank you very much, your advice makes good sense - I'll adopt that method when I next need to trim them.  Thank you again - it's good to have advice from experienced farmers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS