Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to sell our little flock  (Read 1970 times)

kaz39tyas

• Joined Jun 2011
Best way to sell our little flock
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:25:18 pm »
We have made the difficult decision to sell our little flock of 7 sheep. They have essentially been pets with us and I am hoping to find a similar home for them without them going straight into a pie, as it were. Maybe I am being unrealistic? Has anyone had any success with pre-loved, or maybe on this forum, selling small numbers of sheep? Ours are a mixed group: 2 five year old ewes, 4 three year old lambs (not been bred from) and a wether. They are a relatively friendly, close-knit group. Any suggestions welcome  :)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Best way to sell our little flock
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:03:18 pm »
I have sold small flock numbers via Preloved and also via Facebook and they went to a good home as a small group and I am still in contact with the new owner and get sent photos at Christmas time etc.  Just be prepared for some time wasters before the right home comes along.  You will probably find you get a few people turn up who have no intentions whatsoever of buying - i.e. turning up in a pair of flimsy slippers to view the sheep in the midst of winter when the mud is ankle deep, or even those that arrange a date/time and then just don't bother arriving at all.  Very annoying when you have spent time getting your sheep in so they can have a good look/feel of them.

There are genuine people out there who are looking for a small starter flock of mixed age sheep, so don't despair that they will end up having the chop before their time.  Good luck in finding them a lovely home.  :fc:

kaz39tyas

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »
Thank you ZaktheLad,

That's really encouraging. It's good to hear you've had some success with re-homing. I think I will probably give Preloved a try first and see how that goes. Fingers crossed  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:49:21 pm »
Are they registered pedigree?  If so you may be able to find a good home via the breed society. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
We've rehomed some wethers and some pet ewes and lambs, just via general enquiries through our website.

I would suggest that you ask any prospective buyers a little about themselves over the phone, including what experience they have with sheep, why they want some pets, how much land they have to keep them on, and if they have a holding number.  You need to exclude those who will get them slaughtered in a non standard way, for their own consumption and to try to weed out the time wasters.
I always try to find out something about each person, and if they don't give me that info, then they don't get the animals.
Also, don't give them away.  Charging a fair price will exclude the chancers and diners, and will ensure that your sheep's new owners are well enough off to afford vet bills if needed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:10:49 pm »
We're similar to yourself, we only have 8 at the min but yes we have sold a couple last year and the year before that on preloved as I just wanted them to go to pet homes. They went to lovely smallholders who just wanted some lawn mowers and something for their kids to look after. As others have said you may get some wasted enquiries until the right owner comes along and it may also be useful to split them as some may not want 7 but will have 3 or 4 or a 2, 2 and 3. Also when you advertise them, sell them as in emphasise they are fully wormed, vaccinated, friendly etc ....... I got twice the price for my private adverts than at market !

kaz39tyas

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:46 pm »
Thank you Marches Farmer. They are cross-bred sheep, a mixture of Norfolk horn, Ryeland and Texel, rather than pedigree.

Thanks for the good advice Fleecewife. I'm certainly going to try to get as much info about any prospective buyers as I can. When I sold my Shetland pony, I went to look at at his new home before he went which was very reassuring.

Thanks crobertson, yes I think you're probably right. Although I would love to sell them all together, I think I will need to offer to split them. I'm glad a private sale worked out well for you :) .

Ian.mccarthy@hotmail.co.u

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:30:37 pm »
We had five ewes who'd brought 7 lambs, so reluctantly had to sell the ewes as we didn't have enough land to keep them all.  The five ewes went to a farm which was a small holding where children with learning difficulties could experience looking after animals etc.  the two ram lambs went to a farmer who was a reputable breeder.  We advertised on a web site - sorry can't remember the name - but I think it was a case of googling 'selling sheep'.

It was heart rending to see them go - but we feel we'd done the best for them as we didn't want them to go to the slaughterhouse.  Best wishes to you.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:05:00 pm »
No problem - although I'd much rather them find a pet home than the money, if people are willing to pay that bit extra for them it reassures me they are willing to put in the expense of feeding through winter, vaccines, wormers, etc so they can be looked after properly.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 10:00:16 pm »
I haven't sold sheep on Preloved but have bought 4 of my 6 pet sheep/mowers that way. I got my first 2 Zwartbles in 2014 from a lovely and experienced breeder. I was a bit nervous about what I might get but was very reassured when I was 'vetted' very thoroughly on the phone and invited over to see them. I was told very politely that I wouldnt be able to buy them until she had met me. While this may not be practical for some people, I was more than happy with this arrangement. I email her from time to time to let her know how they are. I bought 2 other Zwartble crosses last year from another lady. They were being sold 'as pets' and I was VERY thoroughly interviewed over the phone. Again, I thought this was perfectly reasonable and it reassured me that I was getting sheep that had been well cared for. Both sellers told me that they had had a lot of time wasters, people after cheap sheep, people who didn't turn up or enquirers that that they just 'didn't like'.
Both sellers advertised that prospective purchasers must hold a CPH number and they both asked me what my worming/vaccination/general sheep experience/lgrazing/vet arrangements/etc. for my pet sheep were. I was happy to pay the full asking price for them as I wasn't after a bargain, I was after happy, healthy, well treated sheep. I now have a very happy little flock of mowers. I hope this will reassure you that there are genuine buyers out there prepared to give your pet sheep a kind and forever home. Good Luck with rehoming them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:19:24 am by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:56 pm »
we've sold a few times on Preloved, but are very particular about where they go too. We've always been lucky and found people that pass our stringent requirements, which largely, like others means like minded people who will treat them with the same level of care and attention that we do. everyone we have sold to have been quite nearby and we've ended up having ongoing contact which has been great. Have advertised on here a few times but no success- still time tho as got 3 ewe lambs on marketplace right now  :innocent:

kaz39tyas

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
Thanks everyone, it's been really useful to hear all your positive stories. I'm hoping the right buyer will come along for us too  :) .

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 06:31:24 am »
Surely the first place to advertise them would be tas marketplace?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS