Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you train chickens to use nipple drinkers?  (Read 2620 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
How do you train chickens to use nipple drinkers?
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:16:44 am »
I recently built a nipple drinker system, 4 nipples on a length of pvc pipe with a 5 gallon container feeding it. The idea was to have something that they wouldn't kick dirt into and reduce the need to keep refilling it. The only one they don't kick full of dirt is the one that is hanging next to their feeder and is a few inches off the ground.

I've not seen them even try using it so I've picked a few up and tapped their beaks against the nipples so they get water and they'll drink when I do that, but they otherwise don't use them.

I don't want to remove the other drinker as they'd have no access to water unless they get used to using the new drinker.

Any ideas?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: How do you train chickens to use nipple drinkers?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:17:47 am »
They will continue with the old drinker while it is still there Justin. As you say the way is to show a few where the water is and the rest will learn -hopefully.

We had a similar problem with a trigger feeder. They didn't learn, despite being shown repeatedly, until they were starving. Then one hen started and the others very slowly learned as well- took about 3 months for the last.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:29 pm »
When I did it with chicks I set the nipple above existing water dish and leave it slightly unscrewed so that it dripped a tiny amount - just so there was always a drip hanging and occasional movement. Maybe chicks are set up to learn, but they'd all be using it within a day or two.
 Is your system high enough? They like to reach up for drip drinking. Good luck.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:40:33 pm »
Ah, might be too low then. Article i read recommended chest height. I'll raise it all up tomorrow and see how they get on.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:09 pm »
Ive seen people use laser pointers. Most animals like chasing those laser pointers and they shone it on the nipples and they peck it and get water.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:22 pm »
Definitely needs to be at head height not chest height. Have a small amount of water in a bowl twice a day so that you know that they are getting something. But then, follow Steph Hens advice. they get the hang of it pretty quickly. :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:50 am »
I set galv. drinkers on top of a couple of bricks, which is generally high enough to prevent detritus being scratched in.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:33:02 am »
just a quick update. The girls are now all using the new drinker. I raised them up to above head height and took the other drinkers away. Took a few days for them all to catch on but they did eventually. Much cleaner and only needs refilling once a week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS