Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who has the oldest breeding ewe?  (Read 2470 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
Who has the oldest breeding ewe?
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:14 pm »
I get the impression that many commercial units cull ewes for old age at around 5 or 6 years.  Many of our older ladies are our best mums and they survive from a time before accurate records so I have no idea how old they are (other than that this is my 5th year with them and they were adults when I started).  So my oldest breeding ewes must be at least 7 but could be much older.   

Who has the oldest breeding ewe in TAS forum?
Never ever give up.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Who has the oldest breeding ewe?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:44:21 pm »
11 years old. Due to lamb any day now.

She was our very first pet lamb when we started smallholding in a rental fashion. She then went to live with the in laws on their Welsh hill farm whilst we saved for 10 years for our own holding. She returned to us at our new holding last October. Never stopped lambing.

Wilma is awesome!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »
Plenty of 9yrold ewes here , once a ewe starts to loose  its middle teeth  in a commercial flock it is very difficult for it to compete as grazing is difficult , depends on breed but mine will start to loose teeth at  5yrs and some are sound at 10yrs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »
Our current oldest ewe turns 20 next week, but she's not lambing.  Our oldest was Jezebel a registered Heb who had twins at 16, and died 4 months before she would have been 20.
This year our older ewes are having a rest and we are only breeding 5 younger ewes, oldest of those is 10 I think.

Hebs are very long lived, the ewes anyway - we've not had a functioning tup older than 10.

The trick as shep53 points out is keeping their teeth. All bar one of Jezzie's ewe lambs kept their teeth for a long time.  The odd one out lost a single tooth at 4, then no more for many years.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:34:59 am »
My oldest ewe to lamb this year is 11.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:00 am »
The oldest I've kept them is 9. They were healthy ewes and seemed to be doing well but had no teeth. I decided to cull when they were healthy in the summer rather than risk them doing badly over the winter when in lamb.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »
I've a 9 year old with all her teeth.  She would be lambing this year if it wasn't for the fact that I've had to take a year out due to taking on a rundown holding.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:13 pm »
Commercial unit here with harsh culling policy
We have a few 2008 born ewes to lamb this time along with a good number of 2009's

These girls will all have lambed as hogs and raised 2 lambs every year after that

Generally production goes downhill after 5 or 6 lambings though

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:16 am »
Thanks guys and I hope lambing all but particularly the long toothed lovelys goes smoothly. 

So in Tim's flock 9 years is the maximum age where they lambed as lambs and have twins every time you can expect around 14 lambs in a ewe's lifetime.  (1 at 1 year old, 2 from 2-6 years old and then 1 from 7 on).

However, prize winning Jezebel  :trophy:  was 16 when she produced twins.  If she'd done that all her life she could have had 30 lambs :o

Its another  :coat: moment for me but at least I have room for improvement :D

Never ever give up.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:02:58 am »
I have 2 nine year olds expecting triplets this year, they both had a year off last year.2 seven year olds also scanned with triplets and a gimmer due twins. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that they will manage to feed them themselves, they are  Zwartbles so very milky sheep and have always managed up to now but....I do have bottles ready  :fc:
Anne

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 12:16:35 pm »
When we first joined the Hebridean Sheep Society, way back when, there was a photo in the Year Book of a 13 yo ewe with triplets and the wonderful double entendre caption of: "Broken down by Age and Sex"  ;D   Love it.  We've never had triplets from Hebs, though they do pop up occasionally.

Jezzie had all twins during the time we had her (from 2001) apart from one single.  She rarely had tup lambs, just the famous Gladstone Laughing Boy.  She kept all her teeth until her last pregnancy, when they started to go mid-winter.  We didn't breed her after that, as although she had excellent conformation still (with the help of extra feeding), we didn't feel the extra demands of twin lambs was worth her life.  Eventually she just didn't wake up one Christmas Day.

I think how long you go on breeding your ewes depends on various factors.  For example, are you breeding for meat or breeding stock?  We produce breeding stock so longevity of both tups and ewes is important in a breed which is reknowned for long lives.  If you are growing for meat production then you need efficient lambers which either raise twins every year on good ground, or thrifty singles which can be reared on marginal land unsuitable for other uses.
If you are just breeding from a few pets, to be lawn mowers and an interest for the children, with some meat for the freezer, then your interest is more in the animals themselves, so you can keep on breeding from them for as long as you like, and let them carry on into a sedate retirement. Economics is less of a concern.
Also there seems to be a big difference in the natural longevity of various breeds, especially how long they keep their teeth.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:18:55 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS