Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nigerian Dwarf dairy Goats in UK  (Read 23625 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Nigerian Dwarf dairy Goats in UK
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »
You can only import from some countries, not from others. I am pretty sure you cannot import from USA, but there maybe a list somewhere. However, these goats are not an economic prospect, so I would think it is not cost effective to import - either semen/embryos or live animals. CAE is only one of the issues... as importing Boers has brought CLA into the country...

So unless you have limitless resources I would have though that either a GG or a GG crossed with even a pygmy might be an option very similar to a Nigerian Dwarf. GG milk yields are not that high, they are a placid and easy-going goat to keep, don't need extensive grounds etc etc - what's not to like?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 01:09:52 am »
As a breeder of 'pygmy's' this often comes up - pygmy's & nigerian's were imported yonks ago and in the uk fall under that same breed society - as far as I know (show me evidence if you know better) were never kept pure with their own type. I do often have conversations with owners about one being more one way than another and vice versa - I have a very petite first kidder this year that for her size has what I would say was a very good udder and like wise another petite girl who is rearing triple boys unaided.

In my experience - sightly taller, slimmer, slightly longer in the body (longer in the body helps with kidding) v shorter, squarer, more often a longer coat, can be shorter in the body, cute but possibly kidding issues - kidding issues are not fully to do with body type, its often to do with over feeding - I learnt that the hard way.

If I ever had a min. and as kids are due to leave it would be an interesting experiment - oh and I have miked a pygmy (just for their relief) to me it's just like milking a sheep
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 11:30:37 pm »
Hi All, some Nigerian dwarf goats for sale on pe loved.

SouthWestTom

• Joined Mar 2017
    • The Seasonal Table
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 01:27:13 pm »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your posts - all really interesting and informative.

Based on the feedback received in this thread and after further research, We've ruled out importing NDG's due to the red tape and cost.

I think a Golden Guernsey or GG X Pygmy might be a good option. Does anyone have any experience of a cross like this? if so, it would be great to hear about their experience, especially with regards to feed costs, milk production, and hardiness.

Jaymac76: good spot. Is this the advert you found: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/116760089/pure-bred-nigerian-dwarfs-imported.html?ref=advert-share-email

This does look very interesting, if genuine.
Smallholding with six geese, nine chickens, orchard, and veg plot.

https://theseasonaltable.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/seasonaltableuk/

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:51 pm »
Yes that's the add. Give Jann a call she is very knowledgable on goats and a very nice person to have a chat with.

Staceyluu

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 09:55:48 pm »
Hi sorry guys I am the worst genuinely don't remember commenting and came on today looking for something else! I did end up getting two kids from the add posted further up. The kids I got have Anglo Nubian in them so I am going for the mini Nubian kind of vibe. I think the thing is we don't get Nigerian Dwarfs that are verified in any way here so my theory is looking for the Nigerian type we have got with a bit of a milking breed in and hope! Obviously I won't know whether that pays off for a couple of years until my babies have babies but they are amazing to watch true characters. I'm also going to see Jann the lady mentioned in the next couple of weeks as she has rescued some Nigerian type goats so hoping to have a milking goat sooner rather than later. - She also milks her pygmies I believe.

In an ideal world we would import pure registered Nigerian Dwarfs with good proven milking lines but that isn't going to happen so I'm working with what I've got! Very hopeful for the ones Jann has got right now! If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me I will actually check and remember this time!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:00:19 pm by Staceyluu »

Rivendell

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 04:28:36 am »
Hi. I also was looking for Nigerian Dwarf goats and gave up looking as I decided that there weren't any in the uk. But have just found a herd of them. They are a lot more elegant than pygmys as pygmys were originally bred for meat Nigerians for milk. I now have a small herd. So if you are still looking contact me

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:35 pm »
Hi, here is a photo of my little Nigerian Dwarf Goats.

Charlie 19

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »
Hi, I know this post is old(moderator please approve) I am trying to get in touch with rivendell regarding NDs as they said they have a herd. I've tried pm but says error occurred and tells me I'm not allowed to send pm... Not sure why... I'm hoping rivendell will see this post and get in touch... Anyone else who has found NDs also please get in touch. Thank you ????

HettieR

• Joined Nov 2022
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2022, 06:01:59 am »
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was hoping perhaps the Nigerian Dwarf goat breeder could contact me.  I have just been creating an area for my goats and have a holding number but would like the smallest goat possible due to the size.  I like the sound of a goat that is short haired and gives birth with less complications, although I appreciate the point made of over breeding.  I also would like to take them to our local hospice and therefore no horns would be a must.  Hoping you are still out there.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 09:10:56 am »
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was hoping perhaps the Nigerian Dwarf goat breeder could contact me.  I have just been creating an area for my goats and have a holding number but would like the smallest goat possible due to the size.  I like the sound of a goat that is short haired and gives birth with less complications, although I appreciate the point made of over breeding.  I also would like to take them to our local hospice and therefore no horns would be a must.  Hoping you are still out there.

Honestly get a couple of Golden Guernseys - very placid and friendly (if bottle reared and disbudded) and much better to reach for someone sitting down/wheelchair if your main idea is to use them as therapy goats. Pygmies can be quite boisterous....(and they will get out of most kind of fencing set ups... and GG's are probably a lot cheaper to buy...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS