Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CR ewe not right  (Read 2031 times)

Je

• Joined May 2015
CR ewe not right
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:23 am »
May I ask for help? Mr CR 3yo not in lamb this year, been going off cake over last month but eating grass some hay and some pellets if hand fed. Starts at trough then after a few mouthfuls walks away. Weight loss. Not lame but have trimmed feet, wormed fluked. Other 5 ewes fine. This ewe is picking her front feet and knocking her foot against her underside, alternates feet. She isalso licking the bricks in shed, she has a hi energy lick but not really using it. Have been trying for faeces sample but no luck so far. No swellings at jaw. Thank you in anticipation. :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: CR ewe not right
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:15:46 am »
Kicking her belly may mean she's experiencing pain.  With the routine tasks having been carried out I'd take her to the vet.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:18:40 am »
Agree with Marches Farmer.

When did you fluke?

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »
Thank you will do. Fluked her on Thursday. Just had a thought maybe resistance to fluke treatment or rumen fluke, not sure it is covered.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »
VET      are her gums or inside of eyelid  anaemic ?   what temp ?   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:53:43 pm by shep53 »

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »
Shep 53 thanks for your interest. She does look a bit pale inside lower eyelid. Have not taken temp as yet, will do in the morning. Vet for sure.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:16 pm »
 What flukicide did you use  ? please don't say Combinex

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »
Shep 53 no I used Fasimec Duo. Had Vet in today not sure whats wrong gave her abs temp was high/ normal and said to worm/ fluke again. Confirmed anaemic, not sure why she is lifting her front feet. I am worried about her.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:58 pm »
If you could borrow a dose of flukiver /solantel  from a farmer /friend  or maybe the vet  it is  gentler  on a damaged liver  ( triclabendazole   the base of fasimec duo won't work correctly with a damaged liver  and is overkill at this time of the year as adult fluke should be the problem and tbz kills all stages )

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:21:38 am »
Shep 53 thank you I will do. I used fasimec last thursday will it be ok to dose another wormer so soon? My other 6 ewes looking good eating well should I dose them also? I did them last week. Is there something i can try her with to stimulate her appetite? Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 08:59:50 am »
I find sheep coarse mix goes down well and a bucket of bits and pieces from along the verge, such as dandelions, cow parsley and cleavers.  I use hedge trimmers and cut half a bucketful several times a day.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 06:56:26 pm »
Since you say that the other 6 sheep are looking fine then I would have thought no reason to re treat them .  It is your vets advice to re treat the poorly sheep so ok , it could be that this ewe was already suffering liver damage before you treated her in which case  even with a retreatment with a totally different product it is still going take a long time for her too recover .      You could ask your vet for a syringe of B12 this stimulates appetite and try her with some ivy .    Did the vet have any theory as to why she is licking the bricks , salt ?

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:23 pm »
Sorry Shep53 internet was down. Vet thought licking bricks may be to do with anaemia. Have as you suggested given Vit B inj, will look for some Ivy. Picked some dandelions but she did not want. I was going to take a sample to lab for fluke. Then wondered if flukes would be laying eggs just now. She picked at some grass and had one handful of cake today. Still lifting these front feet and tapping chest. Loathe to give metacam incase her stomach is ulcerated or lit pushes her liver over the edge. Such a sweet ewe.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »
Glad to read that she's making an effort to survive , the sunshine will help and hopefully fresh grass , but it will take weeks/months to recover ,   At this time of the year it should only be adult flukes and they are always laying eggs ,speak to your vet there are set time periods after treating  when it is best to test .  Keep going trying different foods  treacle/molasses / soaked sugar beet shreds    a nice coarse mix with maize /locust beans  any thing to tempt her .   Yes her liver is very fragile  so treat her gently  :hug:

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 06:56:44 am »
Thanks Shep 53 you have been great. Will let you know how she does. :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS