Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feather edge fence  (Read 2228 times)

Kashk3

• Joined Mar 2017
Feather edge fence
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:23:57 am »
Guys some advise required
I am looking to erect feather edge fencing on my land which is agriculture pasture land .
Will i require planning permission ?

Obviously it is for security reasons .as i plan to store expensive equipment on site .

Thanks in advance for any advise
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:13:05 pm by Kashk3 »

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Feather edge fence
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:01:10 am »
Guys some advise required
I am looking to erect feather edge fencing on my land which is agriculture pasture land .
Will i require planning permission ?

Obviously it is for security reasons .as i plan to store expensive equipment on site .

Thanks in advance for any advise

I think anything higher than about 4ft needs PP.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:00 am »
The planning regs state  that you need permission for a fence over 1metre in height next to a roadway, or over 2metres if it's a boundary between you and a neighbour. You can look up the finer details on the Planning Portal.

However, if you are storing expensive equipment, I would advise you to have something more substantial than a wooden fence. That may make it more difficult to see the equipment to the casual passer by, but you would be surprised how easy it is to see over a fence from a wagon, or a tractor, or even a Transit van.

We have twice had machinery stolen from what we considered to be a secure compound. The thieves merely cut through the fence. We have now planted a hawthorn hedge and built a mound of earth all the way round the fence so at least they cannot now just remove part of the fence and drive in.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »
indeed, just recently a friend of mine had a ifor williams flat bed pushed by hand to the edge of his land, the fence cut and the trailer dragged across a ditch with a 4x4.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
A small 10 foot stel cargo container with improved hinges & shielded locking can some times also be loowed but like everytyuhgn you'll need to check woth planning . Earth banks can lso attract teh attention of the planners. One guuy I know  dozed up a six foot high bank well inside his land using soild gently scraped from over 100 mtrs back & pushed up to make the bund . The planers too him to court for contraviening the planning rules .
 Another guy I knew of dug a three meter deep five metre wide " drainage trench " round three sides of his nine acre holding . Putting the spoil on his land inside his fences . He too got done & had to put it back till his planning was approved by the planners & also consented to  by the local waterboard  .

God only knows what would be said if you dug a massive deep  pond & used the spoil as a bank directly on one end
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
I wasn't suggesting an earth bank of such a size as to constitute a major engineering enterprise!
The one we have is just 2ft high but big enough to prevent anyone driving over it, while not sufficiently large as to attract unwanted attention from the planners.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS