Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood pile  (Read 6126 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Wood pile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »
Logs arrived yesterday. Footprint of the pile is about 6x8m, but it is heaped up against a bank on one side. If it was freestanding it would have to be spread out slightly more.

My splitting axe is whistling through the rounds with little effort- I guess it is true that green wood splits more easily.
By far the most time consuming bit is picking up all the chunks after they have flown off. I guess I should grab some pallets and make a little enclosure before I chop any more.

Also the Screwfix £50 electric chainsaw is happily chopping the logs into rounds, but the brand new chain on it explains that. Bar is just long enough for the biggest logs.

I guess I can get by without a splitter for now, but once the wood has seasoned it will probably be a different story.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »
Saw a pic once where a large tyre had been cut inhalf and placed over the chopping block allowing the person to split 3 or 4 rounds without bending down to ground level to retrieve half rounds for quartering. Probably works best on fresh even rounds like yours. By supporting it then the chopping block was unlikely to fall over either.

Regen

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
I use a tyre on the chopping block - works really well.  You can also use bungee cord tied around the log, but I feared I would slice it in two more often than not! :)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:53 pm »
Good idea- would need to be a big tyre though. Three pallets arranged in a cubicle probably easier to knock up, seeing as I have a pile of them already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS