Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drone  (Read 2103 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Drone
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »
Does anyone own a drone?

I am thinking of getting one, any recommendations?

pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Drone
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:37 pm »
What for? what are you going to do with it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Dron
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:38:59 am »
 :wave: hi doganjo

I am on the move  :excited:

Just got myself a delapidated property with no neighbours  :relief: and it comes with an overgrown wilderness.

So I am thinking of filming the transformation !
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:07 am »
Wow!!! Well done! Where is it? Sorry, I know nothing of drones, although a friend of a friend filmed this on our farm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3jOCRn-qrc
R & N Cessford Whanland Farm Harvest 2015

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:07:23 am »
What for? what are you going to do with it?

That's what I thought too. Have you fallen out with the neighbours?

The usual course of action is to shout at them over the fence or cover their car in something unpleasant. Dropping cluster bombs seems a bit extreme, no?  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:51 am »
I have been into flying r/c helicopters for some years albeit the enthusiasm has dropped somewhat of late. Drones = aerial photography and are relatively simple to use. If you want to play with drones then fine.. go get one But realise that quality of video or stills really comes down to quality of camera and editing ability.
There are some realities to consider... how often are you going to be re-watching those videos? Would you be just aswel off with a few still images that could be hung as pictures on the wall to show progress? Or both. Meaningful changes in the land don't happen overnight so how often are you going to be shooting repeat vids?
If you have nearby hills then occasional aerial shots from those with a decent camera may give a more consistent diary of change. You might even get just as good to better pics with an old fashioned box kite and a good camera that shoots timed exposures.
What drones excel at is things like checking the gutters and factory roofs for damage or doing promotional vids for rural retreats, golf courses etc Oh, and looking for lost drones.

If you do get one then please check the regs on using them.

I'm on the wrong PC for my full library of pics but this image was taken just with a phone camera from the top of far field a couple of years ago. I don't think a video would say much more:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:27 pm »
Drones are apparently quite good for exercising tigers too, until they catch and maul it - wot, no tiger icon  :huff:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:32 pm »
Drones are apparently quite good for exercising tigers too, until they catch and maul it - wot, no tiger icon  :huff:
LOL
On the news some time ago they were using drones to exercise dogs.
Have to admit, I'd love one to 'play' with, and maybe could check the sheep without traipsing over wet fields  ;D.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:33 pm »
CAA regulations apply to drones too (subsets for r/c models in differing wt categories) . Essentially your drone is supposed to be in sight at all times and below 400ft. So sending it over to check the livestock depends on how far, how well you can keep visual with it etc. Amateur r/c has a limited range UK (more powerful sets allowed US). It's line of sight too and the commonly used modern channels in the 2.4MHz bandwidth are affected by humidity and may well be affected by proximity to cellphone towers and the like.

With my r/c helis I wouldn't dream of flying one without a good airframe check and range check before the first flight of a session. But then again the thought of my bigger one with a pair of 700mm blades at 1800 rpm and weighing some 4kg going off on it's own is terrifying.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS