Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat Wormer  (Read 1637 times)

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
Goat Wormer
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:30 pm »
Hi
Can I ask for forum members opinion on what wormer is best for routine dosing of our goats (all over 1 year old and GG breed)

Or can I dose with our sheep wormer.....we use Rycoben as it is one that is approved by Soil Association and we are currently in conversion.

Thank You

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat Wormer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:02 pm »
There is widespread resistance now for wormers of his group (white wormers), and also as it is mainly used to treat nematodirus - which should not yet be a problem - I wouldn't have thought it is useful right now.

Unless your goats do have an actual worm burden there should be no need to worm. Not sure about fluke burden, but vet could either do FEC and/or blood tests to determine. Depends on your land and grazing patterns.

Do the goats and sheep share grazing and do the goats go out to graze in winter? If yes to both - then an FEC would be my first test.

I don't routinely worm my sheep either btw.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
Re: Goat Wormer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
thanks,  the goats and sheep graze on different areas and yes the goats are out everyday and stabled at night.
Opted for FEC

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS