Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grafting apple trees - can anyone in Angus teach me budding please?  (Read 1736 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
 :tree:

Bit of a cheeky ask, but wondered if there's anyone local to me (Angus) who might have the time to teach me how to do budding please? I've got and read a book, read up online, watched vids on YouTube, but just thought I'd ask as there's obviously no substitute for someone with experience to show/comment and correct me as I start out with this.

I'm very aware that if it goes wrong I could kill all my rootstocks and have to wait another year before I get another chance to kill even more trees!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Grafting apple trees - can anyone in Angus teach me budding please?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:07:35 pm »
If thinking bevelled cuts of stock onto a whip then it does look fairly straighforward with the right tape and sealer. Not that I've ever tried. I have tried side grafting buds (onto roses) and had dismal failures with that technique... :(

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Grafting apple trees - can anyone in Angus teach me budding please?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:58 pm »
Budding does look super fiddly! At least if they fail I shouldn't kill the root stock.  :thinking:
I'll have a go in summer, we've willow around so going to practice my cuts on that. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS