Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long should I let her sit?  (Read 1571 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
How long should I let her sit?
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »
One of our broodies has been sitting on fertile eggs for 22 days and there is no sign of any pipping or hatching. This is her first brood so it is possible that she has not kept the eggs warm enough. They don't seem to have been turned very much either. I will give them another couple of days and then take them away.

My question is, since she seems to be sitting tight, do I put more fertile eggs under her straight away or break the broodiness and give her a rest?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: How long should I let her sit?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:19:49 pm »
I would give her another five to seven days before you give up on the eggs but asking her to sit on another clutch for three weeks (even if she would) will do her no good at all.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:00 am »
Same as Devonlady.  I once had mistakenly incubated eggs at something like 30'C and was about to give up but half hatched a week late, so it's work a bit more time. Although if she's sat then they should be up to temperature..?  fingers crossed.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:03 am »
I'd give her another week. Def don't put any more eggs under her, she'll realise how long she's been sat and leave her eggs if you do. Just wait a few weeks and she'll probably go broody again

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:45 am »
I'd leave the eggs a few more days, especially if the nights have been cold where you are.   I wouldn't let her go broody again for a couple of months - she'll probably have used a lot of energy keeping the eggs warm at this time of year.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »
Thank you all for your excellent advice. You were quite right - I just had to be a bit more patient. ::)  She now has three fluffy chicks, one breaking out and two thinking about it. I do love freshly hatched chicks. It doesn't matter how often it happens, or how old I get, I'm as excited as a child! :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS