Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic hen house door closer  (Read 5046 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Automatic hen house door closer
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:16:48 pm »

I am not a night person and hate having to stay up until the stop out chooks go to bed, does anyone have an automatic closer that they would recommend and how much did it cost?
Anne

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Automatic hen house door closer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »
See this thread

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,8308.msg80775.html#msg80775

We use an auto door closer - I think it cost about £100 - worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned!

Privatedoc

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
+1. Got a vsb from wells poultry.....works fantastically well....highly recommended

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:42 pm »

Also +1 for the VSB.

Ours broke after a year and a half, and was swiftly replaced by the manufacturers FOC. Overall, well worth the cash.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
Yup, I had a VSB some years ago, absolutely no problems with it.   I think I recall that you could set it to open/shut at a set time or at dusk (and you could vary the sensitivity so that you could adjust the light level it called 'dusk') and open at sunup / a set time. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:51:33 pm »
I use VSBs - find them very good.
Yes, you can opt to have a timer too (which I do) so open and/or shut at a particular time, or you can set it to respond to light levels.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »

Actually, when I re-fitted my new unit, I connected a manual switch across the timer contacts instead. This then gives me an 'auto' (open when light) mode, and a 'manual close' (stay down all the time) mode, which can be quite useful, for instance if I want to enforce a chicken lie-in for some reason, like if I need to catch some of them.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:19:32 am »
Another one who uses VSB. I would recommend getting the exterior one so can easily change batteries, adjust settings as the daylight changes throughout the day/year. Just make sure you close it up and make it properly weathertight and ideally away from prevailing wind (which you would want to do with the door anyway). I also use the lightweight aluminium doors, just make sure when using runners that you allow for expansion/ contraction of door. I also like to have a small fixed run so hens are fox-safe first thing, then let them out to free range once everyone is up and about.

I tend to use the timer in the morning (to make sure its well light before they get out, so no chicken breakfast for foxy) and use the light setting at night - thus makes allowances for those  glorious sunny days when the hens don't want to go to bed, then you come home and find they are locked out and you have to hunt around to find where they have roosted themselves in the dark ::)
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS