Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Killer of stingers but guardians of grass  (Read 5739 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Killer of stingers but guardians of grass
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
I have patches of stinging nettles in one of my areas of grazing. Is there a weed killer effective against nettles but won't harm the grass which ordinary mortals can use? Alternatively, will relentless mowing eventually do the trick?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Killer of stingers but guardians of grass
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »
would ploughing be an option at all?  Or would it only put any seeds under the surface therefore making it worse? As I heard the only way to get rid of them is to phisically dig them up by the roots.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:12:52 pm »
Yes mcpa. One brand name for it is blaster.

To use anything on agri land I understand you need a sprayer license these days.   Just a box ticking exercise.... depends of your neighbours are likely to dob you in.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:01:52 pm »
Grazon on is what you need. Not available to mere mortals I believe.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:15:18 pm »
Grazon on is what you need. Not available to mere mortals I believe.
Just check and you can get it of eBay??? I guess you would still need the spraying licence card etc
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
Just remember that dung from any animal eating the treated grass, or hay made from it, will also kill broadleaved plants.  So only use such dung on pasture, never on crops, and for goodness sake don't give it to your neighbours for their veg plot or champion roses  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
Just remember that dung from any animal eating the treated grass, or hay made from it, will also kill broadleaved plants.  So only use such dung on pasture, never on crops, and for goodness sake don't give it to your neighbours for their veg plot or champion roses  :o
Is that a particular herbicide Sin? Or all broadleaf treatments.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:20:24 pm »
 Nettles are actually very nutritious; and palatable to stock when wilted. I top ours, or strim small areas and the livestock eat it with relish.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »
As mentioned previously Grazon 90 is the one. I can vouch for its effectiveness- its a back pack product- Pastor is pretty much the same thing but for boom spraying. the licences mentioned are for application, not purchase.
 I keep hearing that suppliers will be expected to only sell product to people who can supply a licence at time of purchase, but the logistics of this are horrendous and cant see it happening any time soon. I ought Grazon 90 the other day and was not asked for a licence.
Obviously you're not actually going to apply it yourself so all is good  :innocent:
intrigued as to precisely what species of creature eats nettles- a succession of goats and sheep, and pigs failed to stop our ever expanding nettles from pretty much blocking out the sun- Grazon 90 however !!!!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:14 pm »

intrigued as to precisely what species of creature eats nettles- a succession of goats and sheep, and pigs failed to stop our ever expanding nettles from pretty much blocking out the sun- Grazon 90 however !!!!

Sheep, goats, cattle and horses will all eat nettles.
But please note the magic word - WILTED. And they have to be sufficiently wilted that they no longer sting, in which state they eat them with relish.
So if you just have a few clumps of nettles then pull them out by hand - roots and all and leave them to dry and feed like hay.
If your pasture is full of nettles then wait till the grass has been eaten down a bit so the nettles tower above.  Then top the field on a high setting so you're mostly cutting nettles, not grass. When the nettles have dried out sufficiently the stock will eat  them. Obviously do this when fine weather is forecast for best results.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 10:08:05 am »
Grazon Pro.  Or pull them up when the soil is wet (assuming you don't have acres), get as much root as possible.  Nettle flourish in places where there is high nitrogen, like next to compost heaps.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:33 am »
So which herbicide carries thru Manure?
About to go on the course for spraying, but i use manure on veg and shrubs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:08 pm »
So which herbicide carries thru Manure?
About to go on the course for spraying, but i use manure on veg and shrubs.

Hopefully they'll be able to tell you on your course!  I did know once, but can't recall now, sorry.  I avoid anything with '*yralid' in it but it's probably only a subset of those.

Ex-BH used Grazon and couldn't grow turnips, having mucked and ploughed.  He always blamed the weather, but I always suspected the dung.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »
Aminopyralid, clopyralid, and picloram I think all pass through into manure, and are even present after composting.  Grazon contains clopyralid.

It does say on the label:
"Do not use any plant material treated with GRAZON 90 for composting or
mulching.
Do not use manure from animals fed on crops treated with GRAZON 90 for
composting."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:27:47 pm by Foobar »

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 09:46:52 am »
Does anyone know how long after application/exposure the effect on compost lasts?
Never ever give up.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS