Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: North Holland Blue  (Read 7052 times)

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
North Holland Blue
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:46:11 am »
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a trio of North Holland Blue's does anyone keep any or have any for sale?

Thank you

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: North Holland Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
If you can find a good utility strain the cockerels make excellent table birds.
Fast maturing  :thumbsup:

Good luck

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »
That's the reason why I would like to acquire some, though I seem unable to find anyone who owns/breeds them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:46:02 pm »
Have you tried contacting the Poultry Club of Great Britain?

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:41 pm »
The Poultry Club, don't even have the breed on their list....?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:14 pm »
Not sure where you are but try
https://www.cornerwoodpoultry.co.uk/poultry-pages

Also the rare breed survival trust maybe able to help.
http://www.rbst.org.uk/Rare-and-Native-Breeds/Poultry/Chickens/North-Holland-Blue 

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 11:41:11 pm »
The North Holland blue is now kept by less than 10 people in the UK. We have a breeding program and are working to increase numbers.
It’s going to take a few years to turn it around and no money changes hands. We have them with people who can breed and not fritter them away.
So in a few years birds with luck will be available.

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 03:10:16 pm »
The number of people with English NHB is 4, Dutch birds owners 3.
A lot of work to do.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:09 pm »
You don't mention @Cornish man whether Seven Acres can play a part in your breed recovery efforts.  (Of course, perhaps you are private messaging with Seven Acres as well as posting here.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:09:52 pm by arobwk »

KingFrank

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 04:54:23 am »
The North Holland blue is now kept by less than 10 people in the UK. We have a breeding program and are working to increase numbers.
It’s going to take a few years to turn it around and no money changes hands. We have them with people who can breed and not fritter them away.
So in a few years birds with luck will be available.
Yeah, agree with that... Still waiting

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 04:27:57 pm »
Sorry your waiting? I’m a commercial farmer getting ready for lambing.
The information on the NHB is as stated non available for two years we will put up when some will become available.
We are bombarded with people now wanting NHBs funny a few years ago nobody wanted to know.
I will come back on when we have birds available as we cull hard and only keep the best.
Thank you for your interest.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 05:19:46 pm »
Forgive me @Cornish man, but you have spiked my interest even further, by your last post, on how to preserve a rare breed.  I have a question if you wouldn't mind considering.

Why cull hard?  Surely any breed will show variability and, if you are reasonably content about the purity of your stock, I cannot but wonder whether hard culls will ultimately end up with too much in-breeding and weakening of the breed !?

I do not mean to challenge your strategy:  I'm just trying to understand rare-breed recovery strategies and would be most grateful for further explanation. 

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 09:23:53 pm »
I’ll explain as a farmer/shepherd/herdsman you only keep the best. If you keep second rate / poor quality you get poor quality. I retain my best ewe lambs about 90/110 a year. The Lleyn was down to a few hundred in the late 1960s but luckily the breed was kept by commercial farmers.
Only the best rams were kept and had to be graded all the poorer rams culled same with the ewes. Now look at the Lleyn a great , hardy breed of sheep very popular.
NHBs are great to eat they were/are a commercial meat bird that lay well. That’s why I keep them not because they are “ rare” family has had them 60 years we got them as chicks in exchange for scrap metal.
Of The other 3 ,2 are the same as me and one keen fancier.
You keep the best and cull the rest that’s the only way to improve the breed. Keep it for what it’s meant for meat and eggs by culling you keep the breed strong.
I am a herdsmans son one of 10 children I’ve built my business up from nothing by using this method and working hard.
If you breed from crap you get crap it’s that simple.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:39:09 pm by Cornish man »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 05:30:50 pm »
Thank you kindly for that @Cornish man, BUT now I am actually going to gently challenge your strategy of high culling.
You mention strategy for “improving the breed”, but surely the main objective (for now) should be to maximise the reproduction of a healthy population of NHBs (with verifiable genetics) spread across the nation and elsewhere as much and as soon as possible.
Bird flu could wipe out the very limited population of NHB all too rapidly leading to the demise of the breed.  Surely, surely it would be better to reduce culling and send out eggs/chicks/pullets to willing keepers in order to have collections/flocks of NHBs spread as widely as possible and then let future breeding strategies help to maintain a decent standard of NHB – a consistently good bird for the table with good egg-laying performance also.
Sorry, but I seem to think breed improvement should not be the priority:  keeping up verifiable genetic numbers of the breed across as wide a geographic area as possible would be my personal objective in the short term.  (That would not prevent core NHB breeders keeping what they might consider to be 'pedigree/prime' collections/flocks.)
Might you reconsider your strategy ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:17:21 pm by arobwk »

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 10:16:43 pm »
Hello Arob the decision has been made by all 4 of us. We are as well as using surviving NHB (UK) blood we are using UK feather legged Cocks on Dutch NHBs which do not.
All the males from the x breds will be culled for obvious reasons and the best hens put back to UK NHB Cocks and again only retaining the best type of hen. All hens not up to standard will be given to egg producers who won’t breed from them.
So now you can see why we are hatching everything we can then go through them only retaining the best for breeding this will take time but we know the NHB.
We are also not egg sellers, or very rare breed sellers we have kept the breed when nobody wanted to know.
We have to get the numbers up by some controlled xing with the Dutch NHB. We don’t sell to each other either it’s all free.
So hopefully in 3 years some pairs and trios may become available if we’re lucky.
You have to be aware of the egg sellers and rare breed sellers who charge a fortune for “ rare breeds” well their not doing it to the NHB.
We will let you know how breeding goes and how they look October/ December time.
I’ve also had the same lines of large Cuckoo Scots Dumpies for 44 years. I keep for sextets plus spare Cocks like the NHB I’ve set up plenty but 90% soon get bored and get rid and don’t tell you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS