Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haven't they missed something?  (Read 2572 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Haven't they missed something?
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:46 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39254072

This is an article on the Beeb online news, about whether or not dog owners should pick up and bag their pets dung in the countryside.  It makes the good point that too many people pick up the  :poo:  into plastic bags, then leave them lying around hanging in trees, or flung over a hedge.
The suggestion made is that the offending  :poo:  should be flicked with a stick into the undergrowth, or covered with leaves (my kids used to do that as a trap for their 'friends'  :tired: ). What about runny  :poo:  that doesn't flick?  What about the children skipping along the verges with their longer grass?   The article is suggesting that dog owners should specifically not collect it up in the countryside.
Surely they are missing the point, that many dog walkers take their animals through livestock grazing, where they should most definitely not leave it behind.  Of course nor should they leave the presents draped around the place in their plastic bags  :rant: .
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Haven't they missed something?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:04 pm »
Responsible owners will pick it up and take the bag to the nearest bin.  Unfortunately there aren't many responsible owners in this country  >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:51:15 pm »
It always annoys me when I go to pick up after my dog and have to walk through several other heaps to get to it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Haven't they missed something? Taking your doggie do's home with you
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »
The first line of the article says: Dog walkers are being urged not to bag up their pet's poo in the countryside - .
Conservative MP Anne Main will propose that measure in a debate at Westminster.  I find it very worrying because most people will only see the headline and assume that they no longer should bag up the excrement.  In the small print it does add 'in woodland and parks' but how many will realise that.  I think the whole thing needs to be clarified.  I also think that if you see any walker dumping a plastic bag of anything, you should photograph them in the act and inform the police.  OK so nothing would happen, but the dumper might get a fright and think twice next time.
Maybe someone could design a more modest outer bag for carrying the collection bags in - maybe one with a pic of a squatting dog, or :poo:  and the logo 'I clear up after my dog', or even 'dog poo on board' ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:39:22 pm by Fleecewife »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:58 pm »
Our countryside ranger doesn't enjoy strimming path edges full of hidden dog poo  :o

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:35 pm »
Think it's one that needs a little common sense.

Probably best to flick with a stick in some places. Eg, hardly any other walkers, not near stock, not near homes

Not sure that all those scoop bags are that environmentally friendly.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:58:11 pm »
<<< Not sure that all those scoop bags are that environmentally friendly.>>>

Do they make biodegradable bags?  Doesn't really solve the problem though - the contents would still be there when the bag had gone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:00:01 pm by Fleecewife »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 02:11:30 pm »
Some are biodegradable.

But then there will still be some impact in their production etc.

Obviously necessary to scoop in a lot of places but I do agree with the flick approach where appropriate.

There are forests in Wales with signs telling you to just flick it off the path.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »
Anything that suggests rubbish of any kind is acceptable in the countryside is endorsing a precedent.  I've just walked half a mile down our lane picking up litter and collected two full feed bags of rubbish.  I last litter-picked just before Christmas and it's a quiet lane!  Almost all food-on-the-go: crisp packets, sandwich wrappers, drink cans and takeaway plastic cups.  Most, I think, thrown out of the window by delivery van drivers, although I did once find an unopened 500ml bottle of Cognac!. 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
Who ever came up with this idea does not have enough work to do. What about the health problems dog poo can cause children. Not enough owners pick it up as it is, now someone has given them a get out reason. !!!!

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:32 pm »
Anything that suggests rubbish of any kind is acceptable in the countryside is endorsing a precedent.  I've just walked half a mile down our lane picking up litter and collected two full feed bags of rubbish.  I last litter-picked just before Christmas and it's a quiet lane!  Almost all food-on-the-go: crisp packets, sandwich wrappers, drink cans and takeaway plastic cups.  Most, I think, thrown out of the window by delivery van drivers, although I did once find an unopened 500ml bottle of Cognac!.

Same problem in the rural lane I live. Always energy drink cans but the owners don't have the energy to take it home to dispose of.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Unfortunately there aren't many responsible owners in this country  >:(

I don't agree. I think the majority of dog owners are responsible - it's a small and hard-core element that is not. Otherwise the problem would be much worse - gernerally, it's the same dogs time and again.

I think littereing is the same. The vast majority of folk don't chuck litter out the car window - it's a few who do. Dan and I sometimes pick up litter here and we'll find several of teh same items in teh same place - iek 5 Tesco 1l apple and mango juice cartons. We think it's all from the same person.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »
A local chippy uses polystyrene containers for its take aways.  We're 4 miles from that shop, so just time to finish the fish supper and toss the container into our tup field. 
We used to get lots of drinks cans, chocolate wrappers and fag packets where the school bus picked up our neighbours' children, but now they are no longer at school that has all cleared up.  For a while we had lots of Polish Lager cans, sometimes unopened, tossed over our fences.  A word with the builders who spent 7 months working on our house soon stopped that  ??? .  The dustbin was closer than tossing the cans over the hedge  ??? .
Another thing we get regularly is small page newspapers tossed out, so we have to chase after them a page at a time.
Further down the road there's a layby, clearly a good place to stop and change the baby's nappy, judging by the number of used ones dumped there.
One thing we've never found is full poop scoop bags, but then nobody walks their dogs on our road (too fast traffic, narrow windy road and no pavement).  Clearly the poop bags never make it to the car, but are dumped at source.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »
<<< Not sure that all those scoop bags are that environmentally friendly.>>>

Do they make biodegradable bags?  Doesn't really solve the problem though - the contents would still be there when the bag had gone.

I have always admired a lady who when walking her dog carries a newspaper to pick up with. I use bio-degradable bags as my grandchildren have to pick up as well (and have done since they were 5 or 6--a stipulation if they wanted a puppy!)
We have a very large park just outside of our bungalow and though this is a large council estate have never seen any "leavings" either in the park or on the grass verges along the roads but I regularly pick up drinks cans/bottles around the well used skate park.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS