Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best treadle feeder?  (Read 3701 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Best treadle feeder?
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:49 pm »
I'm looking for a treadle feeder for outdoor use- 10kg or 20Kg. Does anyone have any idea which is the best one to go for?  :chook:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Re: Best treadle feeder?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:42:20 pm »
A Grandpa's Feeder. 

Not cheap but brilliant, holds a good couple of builders buckets of feed, totally waterproof and rodent and pigeon proof.  We have had ours for 3 years and still going strong. 
Only downside is our little dog, a yorkie x pug, has learnt to stand on the treadle and eat the corn, WHY  :thinking: ?
So many ideas, not enough hours

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:19 pm »
OK- thanks. Have decided to go with a cheaper model such as this and hope I don't regret it!
http://www.cj-poultrysupplies.co.uk/epages/es774067.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es774067/Products/1223

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:01 pm »

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:25 pm »
I have a treadle feeder similar in design to those posted links and whilst it does keep the wild birds off, it took the grey squirrel less than 24hrs to figure out that he could stand on the treadle and push the flap up to get in - so not vermin proof IMHO.

I did manage to deter mr squirrel by electrically isolating the treadle from the body of the feeder and connecting to an electric fence energiser (whilst out of reach of the hens of course) - but that only works until the next squirrel comes along.

Mine is 10-12kg I think, but as I've only got 2 hens at the mo' I tend not to fill it anyway as it takes them a while to eat that much.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:24 pm »
Hmmmm...so my treadle feeder arrived today. Door flap looks easy enough for a rat/squirrel to push open once it knows there is a supply of food (I'll site it in the open and 20 feet from the hen house to deter them) and I'll bet I cannot tweak it to thwart the local pheasants or crows (I'll try and increase the weight needed to open the door flap). The saving grace is that the hens have been in the polytunnel for a few months so any rats and pheasants will not be expecting a source of food in the chicken run. Will keep you posted.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:08:39 pm »
Had a grandpa's feeder for 3 years now. Brilliant. No rats or other wildlife around as only the chickens can open it. worth paying the extra for it, I'm sure it'll last many more years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS