Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creating a lawn from scratch- which seed?  (Read 4017 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Creating a lawn from scratch- which seed?
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:35:09 pm »
I am attempting to create a front lawn where there was just a parking area covered in fine gravel chips. I have a fair quantity of topsoil which is currently sitting under a big plastic sheet, but it was uncovered for a long time before that and had fully grassed over. There's enough soil to cover the area to a decent depth (I think) but it will be full of all sorts of weed seeds and the roots and remains of the existing growth on it.

If I could wave a magic wand I would fast forward by a year until everything under the plastic sheeting had died off and rotted down, and then rake it all level before seeding with grass seed. I don't really have the luxury of that much time though, and want to get something established this year. It doesn't have to take any foot traffic this year, but I do want it to look presentable from a distance.

My plan is to attack the pile of soil with a mattock and a spade and try to break it up as much as possible so that it can be spread out and levelled using a rake. The biggest clumps of root etc will have to be pulled out and discarded, along with larger stones and woody dock stalks etc. Then apply a suitable lawn seed (suggestions and quantities/m2 welcome!) and perhaps something to feed it.

I'm not sure how best to get the seed down into the soil and stop the birds eating it. Mix it in with the soil before spreading? Just try raking it in whilst the freshly-spread soil is still quite loose? Gently roll it in? Keep back some soil to scatter over the top?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Creating a lawn from scratch- which seed?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 07:00:08 am »
We've done quite a few areas here in the last two years. The advantage you have is your lawn can go down almost any time of the year, whereas we can only seed in October. The seed we use varies depending on the location/ use and is sold here based on that- dry, play, shaded or now a special one for chickens. The ground is tillered to a fine surface and the seed scattered on before rolling. There will be some seed showing but not much. The alternative is turf which will give you a near instant result, but obviously costs more. We have added a fertiliser before tillering, but that's because our soil is so depleted and you shouldn't need any.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:04:19 am »
I used turf on a fairly large area - yes it's a good bit more expensive, but you gain from having no intensive labour and instant satisfaction, plus at the moment there are some really good deals out there. (I've seen £2 a square metre) 
I think it was Rolawn I used but it was way back in 2005 so I'm not entirely sure.  You can also choose what type of grass you want and quite often grass fro your own area.  It also helps smother the weeds in your soil.

Rukeri has a calculator to work out how much you need.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:54:17 pm »
Thanks, I am leaning towards turf as being a sensible option. Obviously more money than seed but it's not an enormous area (about 70m2 I think). Found a company on the east coast so potentially could road trip it with a hire van or borrowed trailer. Of course it will presumably have to wait until lockdown is eased, like everything else!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:34:31 am »
I'd say make sure you get seed with the right species mix for optimum nutrition.

You may not be planning it now, but sooner or later you're going to end up with livestock on it :-D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 11:43:47 am »
Thanks, I am leaning towards turf as being a sensible option. Obviously more money than seed but it's not an enormous area (about 70m2 I think). Found a company on the east coast so potentially could road trip it with a hire van or borrowed trailer. Of course it will presumably have to wait until lockdown is eased, like everything else!
You might find they can deliver
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS