Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can pigs catch sheep foot rot  (Read 2281 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
can pigs catch sheep foot rot
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:54 pm »
As the question says really.  Google does not seem to be delivering the answer.

We thought we'd use pigs natural rootling instinct to turn over the deep litter in the sheep house prior to a full clean out and disinfection before lambing.  Trouble is, I'd just turned 3 foot rotty sheep out and now the pigs are having a ball but are they giving themselves foot rot or even snout rot in their enthusiasm?
Never ever give up.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: can pigs catch sheep foot rot
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »
I prefer to separate classes of livestock (and poultry) and clear muck immediately a housing area is empty.  The sheep would have dunged in there and pigs will eat anything .....

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
If the beds have been down for ages their bound to be full of bacteria and I really wouldn't want to introduce that to the pigs. You could end up with very ill pigs :(

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:21:20 pm »
I wouldn't have thought the pigs are any more likely to catch anything from the sheep litter than they are from rooting around in their own litter. it's not like outdoor pigs are exactly kept on pristine sterile land is it?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:43 pm »
I can see the above points about turning pigs into a "dirty bed" have merit but actually I think you'll find your pigs are perfectly ok and will make your job a lot easier. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I think it is unlikely they will catch root rot or rotten snouts.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:51 am »
Thanks everyone.  I did it before I thought about it because that is what had been done about 30 years ago on a compacted goat bed. 

Now that it has happened I have 3 very happy pigs with filthy snouts and no indication of discomfort either in their bellys or in their toes.  Their snouts remain perfect too. I love their little wet noses.  24 hours in we have a half turned over bed with piggies extending their range every time I look. 
Never ever give up.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:07:34 am »
If the beds have been down for ages their bound to be full of bacteria and I really wouldn't want to introduce that to the pigs. You could end up with very ill pigs :(
Salmonellosis, streptococcus, et al .... all in warm, damp conditions that invite proliferation.  In a field the wind, frost and sunshine will mitigate numbers to some extent.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:49 am »
I doubt they will catch foot rot, your bigger concern is the concentration of bacteria and the potential for it to take up residence in or on your pigs.

During lambing we use a disinfectant on the floor of the pens between sheep, this is to keep down the concentration of germs and prevent lambs from dying.

Your idea is not something I would consider, you will probably be ok, but the risk involved with the potential transfer of germs and spread of harmful micro-organisms outweighs the limited benefit and may be very costly in the longer term.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS