Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Phesant  (Read 3158 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Phesant
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »
We were gifted a brace of phesants over Christmas. After hanging for several days, I kept the breast and leg meat (separately) and froze it as I wasn't sure what to do with it and we had guests.

Now I keep seeing it in the freezer but I'm still not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions? Much loved recipies?

Also my husband read that you have to be mindful of not swallowing any lead. Is that still true? I couldn't feel any fragments or bullets in the meat. He's a bit worried about our toddler as it would be hard to get her to be careful.

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Phesant
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »
I just used to cook it like Coq au vin, but I got fed up with biting onto shot and breaking a tooth. So haven't had them for years now. No idea if swallowing would be dangerous, and I wouldn't give to a toddler anyway - my children refused to eat meat for a long time and my younger daughter (now 13) still doesn't like the texture of poultry meat (and lots of others meat too).

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:11:27 pm »
Hi Dans,

One of my favourite recipes

http://honest-food.net/general-tsos-recipe-pheasant/

Also plenty more on the same site.

Regarding the shot (lead) you can normally tell whether the breast has been shot and the recipe above cubes the meat so more change of finding any. I am not sure what happens with ingested lead pellets but have a feeling they come out at the other end !

DD

orchard

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:01:18 am »
My favourite is a la Georgian, along the lines described in Larousse Gastronomique. Oranges, red wine, walnuts...i'd post more details, but I can't find my copy currently sorry :(

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:23:50 am »
I think I'll try the General Tso to start as I'm not keen on red wine sauces. Thank you all.

How big are the pieces of shot I'm looking for? I saw a hole in one of the breasts but wriggled my finger and couldn't feel anything foreign in there.

[member=3211]Anke[/member] is there a reason you wouldn't give pheasant or just because your children wouldn't eat it? I don't want to give her anything I shouldn't.

Dans
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:29:06 am by Dans »

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:03:46 pm »

[member=3211]Anke[/member] is there a reason you wouldn't give pheasant or just because your children wouldn't eat it? I don't want to give her anything I shouldn't.

Dans

Both my kids were very slow to eat meat, I think it was texture/chewing thing rater than taste. I also never bought standard supermarket chicken if possible to avoid and so the meat wasn't as soft as chicken nuggets are. Pheasant can be quite fibrous in texture, so toddlers may just not be able to chew/swallow it as easily. My younger daughter is still not eating poultry meat generally.

You just have to try and see what your daughter does with it, he may well be fine.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:06:47 pm »
Well I tried the general Tso tonight and it was nommy, the toddler liked it as well so that was a bonus. Now to work out what to do with the leg meat that doesn't involve red wine.

Thank you!

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 01:17:42 am »
When my lovely terrierx spanial  brought us a pheasant recently, we had a v nice ginger stir fry with it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS