Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neighbours Grumbling About Bonfire  (Read 5073 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Neighbours Grumbling About Bonfire
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:36 pm »
So, we have an old oil drum, with metal sheet on top, which we fire up when it gets around a quarter full (probably five or six times a year).  Very still today, so fired it up as it contained two dead rats and some sheep afterbirth, with paper feed sacks, some bits of wood and a newspaper to ignite them - burned out in about 40 minutes.  New neighbour works for the Environment Agency and complained about the smoke (literally an occasional wisp of white smoke).  They don't seem to get that they've moved to an industrial area, the industry being agriculture.  As it happens we have the necessary EA waste exemptions, which include D7 - burning of agricultural waste.  He's complained before and asked us to dowse the fire (what are we supposed to do with wet, charred rats?)  Trouble is the way the wind funnels down the valley any smoke will always gravitate towards their property.   I can anticipate this becoming a bit of a problem if it's not tackled in a constructive manner, but am wondering what that might be.  Suggestions welcome....?

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Neighbours Grumbling About Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:10 pm »
If it were me, I'd probably be starting with a charm offensive, and a line like "look, we're running a smallholding, and we're going to have to have a fire every so often... what can we do to help make sure it doesn't inconvenience you?"

They then have 2 options... 1) solve their own problem though dialog,  2) look totally unreasonable.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »
Could you burn in the evening when they are inside and less likely to notice?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
Wait till its misty or rain - and stick some plastic on there to keep it going ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
Thats said have you got anywhere to install a stove. like in a shed or something - i got a waste burning stove in the shed.  Stops people seeing what your putting on it - lol - but also youve got a stack then so the smoke reaches higher - and also acts as an incinerator - if you get it upto red hot you dont get no smoke.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »
Light it when you know they are out.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:51:50 pm »
Our neighbour burns tyres and old bits of car at night for exactly that reason  :) .  Could you save it up and light it on days when the wind is blowing in the other direction?  It must happen occasionally?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 05:47:48 am »
I once had a visit from sepa - I was burning waste similar to yourself, he had no concerns and his only advise was to keep the fires small and contained in a drum as you are all ready doing.

Why don't you phone agency to see what is acceptable, record date and who you spoke with, and when the neighbours moan next time, tell them that you've taken advice from his colleague and that you are following there guidelines. 
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:01:31 am »
I think anyone new to the area that starts out by making a complaint is trouble.. How close to your farm is he? I think that its unlikely that we'd ever be friends and I'd carry on as before, if he complains again I'd point out that you have the waste exemptions. Fingers crossed that they become 'countrified' soon tho!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:11:42 am »
I wrote earlier " light it when they are out."  Ill add to my thoughts.  Covering your neighbour in smoke simply because its legal to have a fire and you have waste exemptions is not a good excuse.

Living in the country side isn't some kind of licence to cover your neighbour in smoke.

It is simply un neighbourly to light fires when the wind is in the direction of your neighbours. How would you like to be covered in smoke ?.

Rules of lighting a fire as I have learned from my Dad and my grandad before him:-
1. Make sure your neighbours (and your own missus !) don't have their washing hung out.
2. Ensure the wind is blowing away from them.
3. Better still try and light it when they are out or away for the weekend so even if the wind changes they will not be around to suffer the effects.

This is not about rights or regulations - its about being a good neighbour and consideration for others.

If you are only burning quarter of a drum of waste once every 2 months as stated - surely you can simply add such a small amount of waste into your bin or drop it off at the tip- seems to me you have no "need" to have fires at all ?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:40:53 am by stufe35 »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:38 am »
The charm offensive route is always the best until proven useless.  You have already got the legal side sorted so his only recourse is 'nuisance'. Invite him round to discuss how to avoid 'nuisance'. As other have said light up at dusk, historically when everyone had bonfires in back gardens that was widely acceptable.  Maybe give him the opportunity to let you know if there is a particular evening to avoid if he has a specific reason and leave it at that.  Make it he has to tell you on a given night rather than you have to ask permission each time you light up and agree you will otherwise light up on evenings at dusk when the wind is right etc. Put the 'agreement' back to him in writing (casual rather than look to official) then in the future to claim 'nuisance' he will have to show you have failed to comply with the agreement.

And as Stufe says

Currently I have 2 neighbours with bonfires going and I'm waiting to get mine dry enough for a good old burn.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:48:53 am »
Alas, we put up with six months of builder's noise from their house, immediately opposite our farm holiday cottage, without any consideration or apology, so I think a charm offensive may be lost on them.  I don't think they want dead rats and sheep afterbirths at the dump or in the rubbish.  Used to be that kind of material would go into the dead pit and be limed but it's now burning it or leaving it on the muckheap to attract vermin - maybe the Law of Unintended Consequences?

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
Modifying the drum with a hood/flue of some kind will help get it hot for cleaner combustion and also get some height & bouyancy to the emissions.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:20 am »
I have to admit I wouldn't want the smell of burnt dead rat and afterbirth wafting in my garden/windows. I believe advice re dead animals is to double bag and put in household waste (as someone finding dead birds was advised. I've always buried afterbirth deep in muck heap.
Sorry if I'm getting this wrong MF but it sounds like you're getting your own back over his building work, but what else could he do if work needed doing. Don't want to cause any upset, but that's how it's reading. Maybe everyone got off on the wrong Foot?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 12:00:29 pm »
I have to admit I wouldn't want the smell of burnt dead rat and afterbirth wafting in my garden/windows. I believe advice re dead animals is to double bag and put in household waste (as someone finding dead birds was advised. I've always buried afterbirth deep in muck heap.
Sorry if I'm getting this wrong MF but it sounds like you're getting your own back over his building work, but what else could he do if work needed doing. Don't want to cause any upset, but that's how it's reading. Maybe everyone got off on the wrong Foot?
Yeah, that's why we burn 'em - no-one likes the smell of dead rat!   Definitely not getting our own back - we bent over backwards to help with building materials deliveries and moving furniture.  They very rarely go out and seem to be able to smell the slightest wisp of smoke from inside a completely refurbished and double glazed house!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS