Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming hens  (Read 5143 times)

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: worming hens
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
Tried Flubenvet powder + Marriages layers pellets with added flubenvet. However I prefer to use Ivermectin 1% drops (Available on ebay for a few quid )

Wait until the birds are roosting and simply walk along and put 2 drops on each medium size bird or 4 for large fowl.
I usually give it a week before eating the eggs but the cats/dogs dont mind that  ;)
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:21 pm »
ivermectin is not effective against tapeworm and not the drug of choice against gapeworm either fyi. Plus 'one or two drops' per bird is unlikely to be the correct dose and in fact at 1% you are very likely under dosing.

under dosing off lable drugs is a great way of promoting drug resistance. Ivermectin is useful against ectoparasites but should only be used with your vets say so. and I've no idea if ivermectin is carried on into eggs so if anyone has collies or other dog breeds with potential ivermectin sensitivity they should avoid feeding eggs from hens treated with the drug.

Do not be tempted to use ivermectin on waterfowl.

if any animal has a high worm burden and then you worm it-it can cause problems because when the worms die off, they release toxins into the animal. best to worm regularly from the offset using a licensed wormer-just because you don't see worms, doesn't mean your birds don't have them!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:47:44 pm by lord flynn »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 10:04:41 pm »
ivermectin is not effective against tapeworm and not the drug of choice against gapeworm either fyi. Plus 'one or two drops' per bird is unlikely to be the correct dose and in fact at 1% you are very likely under dosing.

under dosing off lable drugs is a great way of promoting drug resistance. Ivermectin is useful against ectoparasites but should only be used with your vets say so. and I've no idea if ivermectin is carried on into eggs so if anyone has collies or other dog breeds with potential ivermectin sensitivity they should avoid feeding eggs from hens treated with the drug.

Do not be tempted to use ivermectin on waterfowl.

if any animal has a high worm burden and then you worm it-it can cause problems because when the worms die off, they release toxins into the animal. best to worm regularly from the offset using a licensed wormer-just because you don't see worms, doesn't mean your birds don't have them!

A couple of drops applied to a hen, by the time it has gone through her body, will leave a negligible amount available to enter the egg. I wouldn't exactly get paranoic about giving the resultant eggs to a dog 10 x the size of the original hen.

But - what happens if you apply ivermectin to waterfowl? I have looked extensively on various poultry/waterfowl forums and can't see that anyone's had problems with ivomec, so wondered what adverse effects you had heard about.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:26:57 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 12:39:21 pm »
Our Family Business was Poultry+Eggs and we used a Vets that only dealt with poultry.
Now I have a smallholding and keep fewer birds I still consult with the same vets that I did when I kept thousands and they have prescribed the 1% Drops in the past However their prices were a lot more than what I pay now (ebay).

I have seen birds that I have bought in with worms in their poo + gaping.  so treated them with ivermectin with the doses recommended by my poultry veterinarian and they have cleared up just fine so I know who I will listen to.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
Better off FEC first.  I am def against worming for the sake of it.  Ive never had a problem with worms and for a large number its expensive.  Get a test done for around £12 through many companies on-line and take it from there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS