Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock trailer  (Read 8091 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Livestock trailer
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:23 pm »
Hi all we have been looking at all the brochures for 6 x 4 trailers as we think that this size is the right one for our plans of 2 weaners to pork weight and a small flock of no more than 20 sheep ( starting with 4!) All the second hand stuff is beyond our capabilities to put right plus I've heard so many scare stories about buying on eBay and so we are considering an investment in new. Has anyone got a view on the Bateson 6 x4 livestock trailer? It's our nearest dealer but seems more expensive than the rest? At the moment for the Ifor there is a 10 week lead time.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Livestock trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »
I got a Graham Edwards and would recommend them to anyone.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:17 pm »
Bit late on this but I've got a Graham Edwards too and it's fab. Bought ours as shop soiled for a bargain price, it's got the lift off roof and loading gates- the 6x4 ones hold their value well.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:53:10 pm »
How about a second hand P6 from a dealer, and then buy the livestock canopy and ramp to fit on it?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
How about a second hand P6 from a dealer, and then buy the livestock canopy and ramp to fit on it?

Our P6 came from a dealer and already had the canopy and trailer on it. It had hardly been used and looked like new
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:39 pm »
I have one of these- superbly made and I think a bit cheaper than the 'names'
https://www.clhtrailers.com/catalogue/online/livestock-trailers/livestock-canopy-trailers-unbraked/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:39:28 am »
I have one of these- superbly made and I think a bit cheaper than the 'names'
https://www.clhtrailers.com/catalogue/online/livestock-trailers/livestock-canopy-trailers-unbraked/
We've got one of the CLH trailers too. Had it about 4 years and never had a spot of bother with it. until recently was used for a 100 mile round trip every week. Light, easy to handle and well made.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:45:04 am »
Hi all we have been looking at all the brochures for 6 x 4 trailers as we think that this size is the right one for our plans of 2 weaners to pork weight and a small flock of no more than 20 sheep ( starting with 4!) All the second hand stuff is beyond our capabilities to put right plus I've heard so many scare stories about buying on eBay and so we are considering an investment in new. Has anyone got a view on the Bateson 6 x4 livestock trailer? It's our nearest dealer but seems more expensive than the rest? At the moment for the Ifor there is a 10 week lead time.

Cambee where do you reside?
 What sort of money are we looking at?
It my be cheaper to use a tank of fuel to come to somewhere that trailers are made cheaper than the rest of th UK or the area you live in .

The CLH trailers mentioned are widely used in this locality ( Just off the west end of the M4 ), I used to be  an electro mechanical engineer so am happy to say that they are very well constructed  well zinc plated & robust .  The trailers are made about 15 miles away near St Clears just off the A48 , in an eminently suitable engineering workshop . They also do almost any adaptations you might want .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:32:29 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:58 pm »
Hi all and thank you for the replies. They sort of got overtaken by the fact that we stumbled upon a second hand  P6 in pristine condition that had just come into the Ifor dealers near us in Lancashire on the day we rang to enquire saving us several hundred pounds. We are thrilled with it and have already used it to collect our goats.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »
Trailer keep their value - its not an outlay its an investment if you look after them.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »
Sorry resurrecting this- anybody have either a Nugent or an Indespension unbraked livestock trailer? Looking at both next week but user reviews much more useful than shiny brochures!

I was all for CLH but the main company told me to use my local dealer- as my local dealer seems to just be a farmer's courtyard without any signage (and the satnav couldn't find it!) I was a bit wary. Silly but when you're spending grant money given to the school you have to be doubly-sure that everything is going to work with your purchasing protocols etc!

There is an ifor dealer as well but I'm just not sure about the design of the little trailers- they look to be solid-sided? Have I got that right? I don't know why that puts me off, but....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 12:51:56 pm »
The small Ifor trailers (P6e and P7e) are basically standard trailers with 1 ft high ish walls, and then a canopy which fits over the top. They're a bit spendy, but work very well.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »
I do like them but I worry about the ventilation- all their 'proper' stock trailers have vent flaps and things down the sides but canopy looks like it turns the trailer into a kind of metal tube?

But then lots of people use them and google doesn't bring up horror stories so maybe I'm overthinking it  :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 04:00:58 pm »
Our Graham Edwards trailer is unbraked and has a livestock top so doubles up as both a small trailer for bags of cake etc, or with the top on it's a cracking little livestock trailer. I too am not keen on IW trailers with little ventilation...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »
canopy looks like it turns the trailer into a kind of metal tube?

Well it sort of is!!

There is a fixed louvre grill at the front though, and a large gap at the rear above the folded up ramp. Also there are two lift up vents on the top of the canopy of ours. You may not see that in the brochure right enough, but I honestly don't think there is a problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS