Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock trailer  (Read 8090 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Livestock trailer
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »
So in the end I have gone for the nugent, really liked the look of it when I went to view and the guy had one the exact spec I was after in stock. Just waiting for our finance officer to sort out a cheque (no modern banking systems here!) then I'll be off to collect it. It'll be taking two pigs to slaughter as soon as possible after I get it so will let you all know how we get on!

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 11:22:09 pm »
Just to update this again as I've been using the trailer for a while and I'm sure this will be a thread that comes up in a lot of forum searches.

I still, on balance, like the Nugent trailer (should say it's a utility trailer rather than a livestock trailer). However there are a few things to be aware of.

1) The ramp is chequer-plate and quite steep, and the pigs HATE it so I've used carpet tape to stick some foam squares onto it (the EVA squashy flooring stuff). It's a £20 fix but something to be aware of. The sheep bound up without a second thought, though.

2) And this is REALLY annoying- there isn't a divider gate available for the utility trailer so I'm going to have to do a home-made one.

3) The front lights stick out and can easily be knocked off by a sheep with an itchy arse if you leave it in the field  ;D but that's just a cable tie fix as well.

It tows nice, it's sturdy and spacious, it's versatile BUT it's very annoying not being able to split the trailer.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:00 pm »

1) The ramp is chequer-plate and quite steep, and the pigs HATE it so I've used carpet tape to stick some foam squares onto it (the EVA squashy flooring stuff). It's a £20 fix but something to be aware of. The sheep bound up without a second thought, though.

Our tailgate is also steep and is see through, it probably offers reasonable grip for pigs trotters but i have to cover well with straw to prevent them baulking at it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS