Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treadle feeder for geese?  (Read 3186 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Treadle feeder for geese?
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »
Looking at letting the geese out but I think they are going to need some additional feed to get them through this breeding season. Last year we just used a ceramic dog bowl inside thier house but this won't be wild bird proof. Looking at treadle feeders but they seem geared towards hens and ducks. Anyone used them with geese? Our geese are pretty big and weighty, would they be too big for a treadle feeder?

It would also be good as I'm pretty sure we had mice stealing from the dog bowl last year (found 2 dead in the water bucket!).

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Treadle feeder for geese?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »
Hi there

Why wont the house be bird proof? Is it because the bob hole will be open?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:58:20 pm »
It's a 6x4 shed with the door open so free access to birds. In the chicken house we are putting up a shower curtain (cut into strips) to deteer wild birds, but I'm pretty sure my geese would eat it.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »
Mine are fed inside at night, (currently also morning) they were fed in an old trough, but now a washing up bowl fits inside that. How about building a surround with cement blocks so a washing up bowl can fit in? You could pop a board over it during the day.

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
My geese get there corn in a bucket half full of water at night
All the other feeders I had problems with mice and rats eating the food

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
We didn't manage to shut them in at night last year (I think they didn't like the house very much. I made a mistake and ordered one without a window). We did manage to get them to go in there to eat layers pellets and grit but they wouldn't stay in there.

We give them corn in water at night (and the morning when it is very frosty) but we can't give them pellets under water, so trying to find a way to give the pellets without birds, mice or rats from helping themselves. Am I searching for the holy grail? lol

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
I think it is nigh on impossible to give poultry access to a shed and guarantee to keep wild birds out but having a bob hole in your door rather than having the whole door open would help.

If you are generally complying with the rules I wouldn't waste your time, effort and money on worrying the odd sparrow might get the better of you.  There has to be a dose of reality in the mix somewhere. I mean how can anyone be sure their land wasn't contaminated before they turned out anyway?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 07:06:29 pm »
That is true, we had to accept the sparrow getting into thier bird flu housing as no matter what I blocked the damn thing found a way.

I would, however, like to avoid the costs associated with being a buffet bar for the local rodent population, which treadle feeders seem to suggest they can help with. I just don't want to fork out £20-40 and find that my birds are too big for it or that it in some other way isn'r suited to geese.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS