Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1535 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Hello everyone
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:05:35 am »
 :wave: Hi There

Just stumbled across this site and thought it might be a good way to get connected with like minded people as I begin my journey into this new adventure.  I will no doubt be picking everyone's brains here as I have lots of ideas, but my practical knowledge is, shall we say, in its developmental stage. :eyelashes:

When I say new adventure... I mean we're still looking at properties.  We are selling up in Bristol and moving to Wales, taking with us our dog, cat, bunnies and chickens.  I've always talked about that "one day when I have my place in the country..." and decided that one day will never happen unless I make it.  So we have decided to take the plunge!

We have found a property we like, but is only on one acre. There is a paddock at the back which is about 3/4 acre, which is just a bit that has been fenced off from a larger field, with another two acres-ish beyond the fencing of the paddock.  We have been trying to get the farmer to agree to sell that bit to us as well (he sold the 3/4 acre to the vendor of the property) but we keep getting mixed messages.  So we're at a crossroads where we either decide to just buy the property and make the best of the plot we've got, and maybe try agree to rent (or purchase) the additional land at a later date.  Or... can we make it work with just the land we've got?

Ideally, we want the other two acres... I feel like we're restricted if we settle for no land.  But I really don't know.  Is there anyone else out there making it work on an acre?  What have you done with yours?

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »
Welcome from north lincolnshire.we have been lucky in getting 3 acres but it depends what you want to do with it and what the land is like. My suggestion would be get what you can and plan from there. Dont rush in headlong like we did! Good luck :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:49:23 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

The farmer will have you over a barrel re the additional land if you don't secure it now, so don't count on getting it later.

We had an acre at our first smallholding - veg, fruit, small orchard, chooks, couple of weaners and three sheep. It's amazing what you can do.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

I think it depends. Have you seen other properties in your price range with more land previously? If it is a case that  other things have come up then I would probably wait and see if something else comes up. Spend a good while searching for places to get a feel of what you can afford and where. Unless this place is screaming out to you that it is perfect of course. We spent about 3 years looking for places. 2 of those were more unrealistic (I was tied into a PhD) but we still went to viewings and got a real good idea of what we could get for our money. I still get the same emails from estate agents about smallholdings and I am happy to say that 18 months after we moved I haven't seen a place come up that would have been better for us.

However, if this is the only place you have seen in your price range and it is 1 acre or nothing I would go for the 1 acre and see what you can do with it. Maybe you could get more land from the farmer but don't bank on it, work with what you have. Remember this may not be your forever home.

We have 2.5acres, we wanted 10acres but we couldn't afford anything near that much land and be somewhat close to our families (~3.5 hours). We are more limited in what we can do but we are living some of the life that we wanted and that is better than we had (a tiny garden in a terrace row of houses).  Part of me dreams still of moving on once we have increased the worth of this place, maybe have enough money to get more land and maybe we will but for now I am glad we went with 2.5 acres rather than hold out for more.

Good luck whatever you do, it's an amazing journey into smallholding.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:09 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. I can only agree with what others have said. Get as much land as you possibly can. Whatever you have, the likelihood is that it won't be enough.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:16 am »
Hi again, and thanks for your input.  You're kind of confirming what I suspected.  I do feel a bit restricted on just one acre, and to have that parcel of land just there...it's aggravating.  Even more so because the farmer doesn't even use it.  He rents it to someone else for silage.

The story so far is that I expressed my feelings to the estate agent who contacted the vendor.  The vendor apparently spoke to the farmer who said he was open to selling the land, and passed on the farmer's number to me.  I rang and his wife answered, the farmer wasn't around.  The wife was a bit frosty and said the land wasn't for sale.  So I rang the estate agent again and explained what had happened, he rang the vendor who said "well if that's their answer..." and doesn't seem prepared to approach them again.  So I'm left scratching my head really... in truth, I'd be happy just knowing I could rent it.  And maybe in time (in my happy fairy land) once we get to know the locals and become part of the community, have opportunity to buy it.  But I know that farmers like to hold on to their land.  But it's really aggravating as it is part of the paddock that the property sits on, and he sold that bit of the land to the vendor without issue.  It's just THERE.  I really don't know what to do.

Our budget is on the lower end, so we really are a bit restricted.  There was another place that had 6 acres, but it was boggy, needed loads of drainage, had a hostile neighbour and was in a valley with a shooting range, clay pigeon, rough shooting, etc.  We were there for about an hour and all you could hear was gun shots.  Bang! Bang! Bang!  It really took the shine off it for me! 

We're looking at another place this weekend, 10 acres (half pasture, half woodland), which is over budget (but a manageable mortgage) but the house is damp and needs a lot of work...  :-\

So really, the one acre place so far is the best bet... if I could get that land.  Even just to rent it!!  Gaaaahhhhhh!!

As for what we want to do... well... I'm not really sure.  I know I could never raise animals for meat.  I just couldn't.  I do eat a little meat, though less and less these days, I just couldn't kill one of my own animals as I get too attached.  But I will continue to have chickens, and I would like a couple goats for milk, yogurt, etc, bees and also love alpacas, and wouldn't mind a couple as pets to help keep the chooks safe.  I've also always wanted a couple of rescue donkeys.  Just because I love them.  Thus the need for the extra couple acres.  Apart from that, it'd just be vegetables and fruit, etc. :chook: :goat:

My instinct is that if we buy the smaller property with the hope that we can get that other bit of land (buy or rent), then we're kind of stuck, with no guarantee of ever expanding the way we want to.  In a part of the world where the market to re-sell is rather sluggish.

The other thing about the property is that it's a derelict cottage.  It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, to retain it's original characteristics in keeping with the area, but to modern building regs with regard to insulation, under floor heating, etc.  It's an amazing little place... but little.  OK for us, as it's just the two of us, but for anyone else, might just be too small to sell on, especially without the extra parcel of land behind us.  So you can see my dilemma!  ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:16:58 am by SafeHaven »

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:44:44 am »
Sounds like it would be best to leave this house. There's no guarantee you could rent the extra land and it seems you have your heart set on more than one acre. With the house needing work too you may find yourself with a big bill and less land than you are happy with. Put the idea of renting or buying that land out of your mind and then ask yourself again if you are happy with the place.

At least the other place you would have the land you want and can improve the house over time as money allows. Even if the other places on the market at the moment aren't suitable, more will come up.

With the goats for milk have you thought about what you will do with any male kids?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 05:18:13 pm »
Good advice, thank you. In some ways, having the property without the extra land makes things simpler, eh?   ::)

Not sure about the male goats... I'm sure that ultimately we would toughen up to the ways of farming to an extent.  Sell on any animals, knowing their final destiny... otherwise we would be overrun by boys of all kinds!  I only keep hens... no cockerel, as I choose not to deal with despatching cockerels and would never just dump them somewhere like some do.  So I just keep hens!

I will take lots of advice, read a lot, and do plenty of thinking before committing to any animals.  You could absolutely sure of that.  I am pretty boring like that.  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS