Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shopping around  (Read 1804 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Shopping around
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »
I just called around our local feed suppliers to compare prices for Heptavac P+. For a 50ml bottle, prices ranged from £20+VAT to £25+VAT. I need three bottles, so it was definitely worth making the calls. Interestingly, Mole Valley also sell it for £20+VAT, with refrigerated delivery costing £15.

Whilst I was at it, I also got prices for 18% premium ewe nuts, and was quite surprised at the variation in prices. The first price below is for an individual 25kg sack, and the second price is the equivalent 'per sack' price if collected from the store as a pallet load of 40 bags:

• Supplier 1,  £9.18, £6.93
  • Supplier 2, £7.45, £7.45
  • Supplier 3, £7.93, £6.72

So for individual sacks, that's a 25% difference between cheapest and dearest. However, the difference is only 10% if buying as a pallet, and it's a different supplier that works out cheapest. For comparison, a local feed mill is charging £6.53 per bag equivalent for one tonne of feed delivered a sacks on a pallet.

The key learning for me here is that if we *can* use a tonne (and I think we could have done if we'd ordered it earlier in the winter), we stand to save between 15% and 40% compared with just driving down and collecting a car load whenever we need it.

So, what other tactics have you used to reduce your feed prices? I'd be interested to know!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Shopping around
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:24 pm »
I probably save £2 a bag on feed by buying it by the tonne. It would be worth folk living near each other collaborating.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:48:46 pm »
Buy quality not quantity.  I assume those suppliers prices aren't for an identical product?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:55:42 pm »
Rhodent-proof (and water-tight) storage - our main problem wrt to buying larger quantities. Also access to our holding is not that easy for large lorry (they need to reverse up), so pallet deliveries sometimes tricky. Depends on the driver usually...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:35 pm »
Those prices are for as identical as I could get them; 18% premium ewe nuts. I do appreciate that specs can vary between manufacturers though.

You've spotted the other thing I forgot to mention, Anke; whilst the feed mill idea sounded great, it would have come in an 18te curtain sided truck, which wouldn't have been able to get through our gate..... and I'd have had to buy a forklift to unload it. That seems like rather a lot of hassle in order to save £8!  :roflanim:

Happy to collaborate if anybody local wants to share - just get in touch  :thumbsup:.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:16:03 pm »
Lucky you have different places to compare .... almost all round here are now Wynnstay  and the Countrywide just shut!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:41:33 pm »
Can you carry a ton in a back of a pickup?  They should be able to fork lift it on for you at the shop. Or onto a trailer.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
Yes, I can pick up a tonne no problem. It's just delivery we have trouble with.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS