Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stupid question about bought hatching eggs  (Read 1640 times)

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
Stupid question about bought hatching eggs
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »
I'm sure this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but here goes.  I bought some (7) hatching eggs online over 2 weeks ago and they have not yet arrived.  My cockerel sadly fell victim to a fox at Christmas and this is the first time I've bought fertile eggs online.  The eggs were buff orp that I know are a bit hard to get but the site stated they were available (unlike some other breeds) so I assume they aren't waiting for anything their end.  I have emailed customer service to ask abou delivery but nothing yet and the website doesn't give any info on timing of delivery.

If you have bought eggs online, how long did your delivery take?  Is 3 weeks reasonable? 

Just nervous I've been conned somehow and also need to get hatching soon!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Stupid question about bought hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:09:43 am »
If you've paid online and didn't have any confirmation on your email or any answer from the seller tell your ring your bank or PayPal  (depending on how you paid) and they will give you your money back withing a day normally.
Then they will investigate the seller etc.

Then why you do is buy eggs from someone else. After two weeks they should have at least told you what's the situation. Maybe they are waiting for the hens to start laying? But by now they should have told you that at least!
Get your money back and end of story!
We've done it successfully with both ebay, PayPal and barclay bank.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:23:11 am »
Thank you!  I did get a receipt from PayPal but nothing from the seller.  It did look legitimate and came up in the first few results when I was searching so felt trustworthy. 

I would be thinking that maybe they are waiting for eggs to be laid but they were advertised as being available unlike some of the other breeds they were advertising (which I assumed would become available when eggs arrived)

Will email the seller one last me and then claim money back - thanks so much for info on how.  Wouldn't really know where to start! 

So frustrating as have been trying to get buff orp eggs or pol for over a year now with no luck! 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:37:25 am »
I'd recommend considering holding off on hatching until later in the year.  Fertility will be better then, with less chance of hatching eggs being left in a cold place en route to you.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:34 am »
I've bought a lot of eggs online, and I don't think 3 weeks is reasonable at all. Even if the seller only had one hen laying, they ought to have collected 7 in 14 days. Also, remember that fertility rates can drop off sharply beyond 10 days so you want the freshest.

In my experience, I've received hatching eggs between 7-10 days at the latest. Was this via eBay or through someone's direct website?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:10:31 pm »
I would not wait that long if I had already paid unless it was discussed with the seller first.
You should contact paypal and cancel the transaction.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS