Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's hatching 2017 ?  (Read 5677 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
What's hatching 2017 ?
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:34 am »
Thought I would kick off a topic on what everyone is / has hatched this year so feel free to add whats in your incubator and how they are doing !

We had our first chicks start hatching yesterday - 12 Lavender Aracaunas set and 6 out so far and doing well in the brooder. We start them incubating in a brinsea then swap them out into a still incubator at lockdown time. Last year was a steep learning curve but we have a good reliable system now.

Also got some of our duck eggs with a week to go. A mixed bunch of drakes (khaki, white/black runner, appleyard, saxony) so who knows what they will look like.

Really want to hatch some guineafowl this year if anyone has or knows of source for hatching eggs.

Feel free to add to the thread :)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: What's hatching 2017 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:30 am »
Nothing laying here yet but will have

cou cou de rennes

Silver Kraienkoppe bantams

and maybe a mix of cou cou x LSX
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:08 am »
We usually have our first hatch Easter weekend as we aim to lamb that weekend so know we will be about. So nothing in the inccy for a while yet.
Last year we popped a Cuckoo Maran egg in (she'd been with the Dorking cockerel) which produced a lovely hen. Black in colour but is blue/green/purple like a magpies black feathers. She is now laying little peach coloured eggs. We might do this again this year, just to see :-)
We have tried time and time again to get some cream legbar girls, but keeping having rubbish hatches and the only survivors are always boys. I might not bother this year and buy in some day olds instead  :thinking:

Edited to add: if anyone needs a cream legbar cockerel, we have one which will be going in the freezer soon otherwise.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
Mine will just be Marans crosses as I have to start early this year and thats what I have  ;)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:48 am »
Mine will just be Marans crosses as I have to start early this year and thats what I have
Are your hens Maran crosses, or are your hens marans and cockerel something different?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:14 am »
I only have 1 pure cuckoo marans hen left, the others are sussex and aurucana crosses and the boy 'Grey' looks like a pure cuckoo marans but is a cross too - so I'm hoping I'll get some cuckoo lookalikes  :D

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:15 am »
Nothing laying here yet but will have

cou cou de rennes

Silver Kraienkoppe bantams

and maybe a mix of cou cou x LSX
Hi Princess - your potential cou cou x |LS mix sounds interesting - have you tried this before? Do the boys make a size worthy of plucking?

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:18 am »
I've got silkies hatching in a couple of weeks....got four chicks about one month old already. They're SO cute. I hope my d'Anvers start laying this year too and I get some hens - 2016 seemed to be a huge year for cockerels.

For birds which are of actual use, I'm building my Ixworth flock. Got two hens and two cockerels from a late hatch last year, so going to eat one boy and then swap the other with a friend to get in some new blood. And then, hopefully, my pullets will start laying and I can hatch out a few more both as layers and meat.

Finally....and I know these aren't poultry but I breed them for some extra income, I'll have budgie, zebra finch and cockatiel babies though not in the incubator.  ;D

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:07 am »
I have eggs from my meat hybrids going in and a cross between them and my Cuckoo Marian's, then pure Indian Game when they start laying and later I will be swoping cockerels over and crossing IG x meat hybrids.

Also will be adding a few eggs from my Blue Laced Wyandotte bantams each batch.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 12:47:44 pm »
Been hatching over winter and had some decent results as the eggs were mine
I.G X L.S
I.G X La Bresse
I.G X C.B.T.

Bought in some R.I.R. B.P.R. + L.S. Eggs had 24 in the incy but only 4 hatched so was not impressed but thats why im not having eggs posted this year.

Hopefully having a drive to Teeesdale,Co Durham to collect some I.G. eggs later in the spring  :fc:

Also looking to incubate some Barnevelders as a meat bird project.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:54:50 pm by Charlie1234 »
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:08 pm »
Thought I'd reply to the bad hatch issues Jukes Mum had. Hatches of mainly males can either be co-incidental or if repeated can be due to too high humidity in the first 18 days resulting in slightly too small an air sac. The males are stronger and are able to cope with it better it seems. Best to check to air sac development than rely on a fixed humidity reading in my experience, as it is dependent on shell porosity.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:52 am »
If all goes according to plan(!) we'll have Speckled Sussex, Blue-, Buff- and Gold-Laced Wyandotte L/F, Silver Grey Dorkings, Blue + Blue Splash Jersey Giants, Narragansett turkeys and Indian Blue peafowl.  No eggs available until May, however, as we don't fire up the incubators until lambing's finished and won't sell until we know fertility and hatchability are sound.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:26:11 pm »
Thought I'd reply to the bad hatch issues Jukes Mum had. Hatches of mainly males can either be co-incidental or if repeated can be due to too high humidity in the first 18 days resulting in slightly too small an air sac. The males are stronger and are able to cope with it better it seems. Best to check to air sac development than rely on a fixed humidity reading in my experience, as it is dependent on shell porosity.
Interesting! We never measure humidity. But they were put in with Dorking eggs which all hatched  :thinking:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
Could it be that some breeds are more susceptible to humidity levels than others?  Dorkings are a very old and very fixed breed, with centuries of selective breeding behind them (i.e., in this case, if you're not a healthy bird, you die).  Maybe the country of origin also has some significance    ?

chicken girl

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »
Hi,

I am hoping to hatch some runner ducks and some Khaki campbell eggs in the next little while.  Just looking around locally to see who has some eggs available.  Good luck and keep us posted on your hatches.  I love hearing how others are getting on!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS