Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I underfeeding or being manipulated?!  (Read 1861 times)

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
Am I underfeeding or being manipulated?!
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »
Hi all -

I have 10 South Downs (6 ewes and 4 lambs about 10 weeks old) and they live in a 5 acre field of good pasture.  Since I turned all the mums and babies out I've supplemented with a vit block and ad lib hay (which they seem to turn their nose up at) and a bit of hard feed.  Thing is, every time I do my rounds they scream their heads off as if I'm starving them.  They all look in good condition so are they just trying it on or should I be giving them more hard feed?  Obviously want to take care of them responsibly but not be suckered into greediness (as I learnt with my kids!)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Am I underfeeding or being manipulated?!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:05 pm »
Diifficult to say without seeing the sheep but probably just trying it on since you say the ewes look good and the lambs are thriving

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:59 pm »
Southdowns will generally look good at this time of year, due to good fleece growth.  Have you condition scored them?  If they were used to being given hard feed regularly they'll yell if they don't get it, until they realise that your appearance doesn't always mean food.  My ewes are getting hard feed in the run up to lambing but if I go into the field for another reason I hold my hands out to the side so they can see I'm not carrying a bucket, and then they carry on with what they were doing before I walked through the gate.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:00 pm »
 I would carry on feeding the ewes as you are and just organise a way of giving the lambs extra. For 4 lambs you can make a creep feeder by making a pen with gates or hurdles with a gap that is just big enough for a lamb to get through, but not a ewe.
 I've assumed the lambs are 10 days old and not 10 weeks? As if the latter, then the ewes don't need any extra feed - just the lambs as they should be getting near fat.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:14:42 pm »
Plenty of people (me including) don't feed ewes or lambs anything other than grass & hay. Ever. At any time of year.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:51 am »
Mine would eat concentrate all day if I let them and still yell at me when they saw me. I agree with Marches body scoring is the way to be sure.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:52 pm »
Mine call out and pester you if their used to getting nuts. My fields are bare and ewes haven't started lambing yet. I'm not a fan of feeding hay as I'm never sure how good it is and the sheep don't seem interested so I feed hayalge and they really enjoy that

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS