Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much meat from one pig?  (Read 5225 times)

Lynne South

• Joined Feb 2017
How much meat from one pig?
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:54:22 am »
Hello

I'm so sorry for what is probaby a silly question but I've just sent my first pigs to the butcher and I have to go and see him tomorrow to discuss what we want - what cuts etc and how much to mince for sausages etc.

I am looking at the River Cottage Pigs book which gives all the cuts and some nice recipes for sausages and so on but one thing I'm not sure of is how much meat will I actually get back.

E.g. how many kgs might a shoulder weigh - one recipe calls for 2.5kgs so will that be the whole shoulder used up?

Similarly with pork belly, one recipe says 2.5kg pork belly, so will that use up all the pork belly? How much does a pork belly weigh

I realise of course it depends on the size of the pig but are there any rough estimates anywhere that I can look up? A good web page that anyone knows of?

I feel like such a muppet but I have absolutely NO idea how much to expect back from one pig.

They were about 110kg and 90 kgs roughly in size.

Thanks for any help!

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
Re: How much meat from one pig?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
As nobody has answered you I will give you my estimate and opinion.
From pigs that side you should get around 80-90kg and 60-70kg respectively, a lot depends on the breed as some breeds put on more fat than others once they get past around 80kg.

When it comes to cuts of meat it depends on what you want, as different cuts can come from the same place as it depends how it is cut up. Example, The sides of a pig are known as the loin, from here you get back bacon from the top and streaky from the bottom (once it is cured), alternatively, you can have the top as chops, the middle as ribs and the bottom as belly pork.
The legs can be cut into joints on the bone (they will be big), or they can be boned and rolled (a long joint that can be cut into suitable lengths at home). The shoulders are big when left on the bone, or they can be cut up and made into sausage (along with any other off cuts).

If you discuss it with your butcher he will give you a good steer depending on what you want back.
Hope this helps.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: How much meat from one pig?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »

I feel like such a muppet but I have absolutely NO idea how much to expect back from one pig.

We didn't either the first time  :) 
A pig that size will fill a 6ft standing freezer. We used to have 2 or 3 cuts from the shoulder, bellies in half with skin on for bacon, one leg whole for ham, filets whole etc. We used to tell the butcher that we wanted roasts for 2-3 people and he'd cut how it would work out best. We kept the fat and all.
We once did Nigella's 24h roast pork shoulder - huge but excellent flavour and lots of portions for the freezer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS