Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First goats - two options. Which one to choose?  (Read 4463 times)

Goatmamma

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: First goats - two options. Which one to choose?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:58 pm »
Great news, welcome to the world of goat keeping. My pygmys love willow, beech etc but just a word of warning it can be too much of a good thing. I have had a couple of vet call outs after one of my goats stopped eating and was grinding his teeth, stretching out and obviously in pain. The vet reckoned it was just too much willow in one go. It took a few days for him to recover, and several drenches of rumen stimulant (most of which drenched me!).
Enjoy your goatlings, they are the most engaging creatures!  ;D

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 07:48:01 pm »
Congratulations! They are fun to have around! I feed mine lots of cut branches in summer and winter, but try to mix species up and alongside hay. Wishing you all the best with them!  :goat:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 09:52:52 pm »
Congratulations Macgro7, you've thought long and hard about this, asking all the questions in advance, feels like we've been on the journey with you, ?.
Just a word a of warning about your trimmings, please be sure of what you are bringing back for them, check out some online lists of poisonous plants, for instance the prunus family can be fatal if fed wilted. (Without going back and checking I think they start to convert to cyanide, I'm sure someone will put me right)  ;D

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »
I think the cyanide thing is only in cherry laurel  Prunus laureus   (thats the big green waxy thing that basically looks like a laurel).  I know next to bugger all about goats, but I've been in countryside roles my whole career and i've never encountered an issue with English cherries or Bird Cherry  (other than  stock eating the fruit and giving themselves stomach issues)

the other big no no on the cyanide front is Rhododendron , while I suspect Yew  (Taxus baccata) will be a bad idea due to the taxine content in the needles and berries (taxine is used in chemotherapy, its seriously unpleasant stuff)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 08:14:19 am »
I have definitely read and been told it is cherry that cannot be fed wilted (fine fresh and dry).

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 11:53:46 am »
Yes yes. Thank you! I know, I don't feed any cherry or plum or laurel leaves or branches. At the moment only bits of willow, sycamore, brambles, budleia
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS