Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unwell ewe  (Read 1718 times)

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
Unwell ewe
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:00 am »
Hi..After some advice please - I have a 6 tooth Suffolk mule ewe who is due to lamb about the 1st March. She  currently seems a bit depressed. All the ewes were brought in this weekend ready for lambing and I think she has been knocked out of the way when feeding (they are all pretty boisterous). I have put her in a separate pen within the pen with the other ewes. She is eating cake and hay, drinking well and can stand. there are no signs of twin lamb disease but I am wondering whether it is worth giving her a drench and a jab of pen / strep. Any thoughts and suggestions would be really helpful

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Unwell ewe
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:36 am »
Yes, I'd give her a drench of a good twin-lamb product.  Multi-lamb Rapid by Nettex is good, or something that contains propylene glycol.  And just keep an eye on her - you never know she might just be naffed off with being inside.  Don't give antibiotics to her unless there is actually something wrong with her that requires that treatment. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:17:27 pm »
I have learnt over the last few days that propylene glycol is liquid gold! I used nettex multi lamb rapid but it didn't have the same effect as the prop glycol, which is also a lot cheaper. Has she got an energy bucket?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:30:05 pm »
Multi lamb rapid has propylene glycol in it along with other things like vitamins and glucose etc.  But yes you can get [/size]propylene glycol on its own cheaper (usually big bottles).  Twin lamb drenches that don't have [/size]propylene glycol in are not worth giving IMHO.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:28 pm »
Calcium Borogluconate  in case hypocalcaemia , prop glycol  and an energy bucket or glucose bucket  , none of which will hurt even if not needed ,  AB'S if she has a temp or smelly discharge

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:47 pm »
Vitamins.  By injection if not giving a twin lamb remedy, otherwise will be in the TLD med.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:53:20 pm »
Yes, I'd give her a drench of a good twin-lamb product.  Multi-lamb Rapid by Nettex is good, or something that contains propylene glycol.  And just keep an eye on her - you never know she might just be naffed off with being inside.  Don't give antibiotics to her unless there is actually something wrong with her that requires that treatment.
I was advised by my vet that nettex multi rapid or twin lamb is NOT particularly  good for tld. It does not contain the correct ingredients in the right proportions to deal with the problem. She was irritated that it is being sold as a tld supplement.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS