Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Switching from LPG in cylinders to bulk contract - is it worth it?  (Read 2999 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Not sure where to post this but previous discussions seem to have been here...

Currently use LPG for heating and cooking (also have woodburning Rayburn connected to same system).

Buy in 47kg bottles at (currently) £45.50.  Estimate annual usage about 2,250 litres (24 bottles)

Looking at switching to bulk supply.  Has anyone made this change and if so did it work out to be a good thing to do?

Many thanks

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Switching from LPG in cylinders to bulk contract - is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »
It must be worth it. Thanks for posting this .We run a holiday lodge's central heating off the cylinders and it is a huge expense. The lay out costs for a tank and base may be considerable but I am posting this reply to make sure I dont miss the shared wisdom on the topic.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:08 pm »
Got one quote so far.  Company supplies the tank, we would just need to have concrete footing in place.  Then pay £15.75 a quarter rental for tank plus 35p per litre (+5% VAT).

My rough calculations give an annual saving of about £200 using 2250 litres.  (not counting cost of initial ground work)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:41:07 pm »
That is very helpful. We use about 12 cylinders pa. ( at £49.50 each) so looking at your consumption could save at least half what you would save (plus a little more if we are paying £4 more than we should each time) it is definitely worth thinking about.
We had a similar issue in our last property which was 'off' gas mains and when we used LPG cylinders - but eventually we changed the whole system to oil because the restrictions about where we could site the oil tank in our tiny garden was less onerous than where we could place the gas tank

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:48:57 pm »
I have now got requests for quotes in with six companies, so will keep you informed

This is an interesting read:

http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/1331/save-money-on-lpg-how-we-saved-over-1000-on-our-gas-supply/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:31 pm »
Where are you all getting cylinders from for under £50?  We have an account with Calor and I'm sure we're paying more than that?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:11:03 pm »
Oops. Should we keep quiet Womble

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:12:21 pm »
Womble: From my extensive research (ten minutes on line today) the phrase "account with Calor" may be your answer.  But you are in Scotland and your options may be limited. Here in Mid-Wales our local independent fuel and feed merchant is selling for £45.50 (plus free delivery)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »
No, thanks for the info, both!  We only use gas for cooking, so our 2 or 3 cylinders a year aren't as critical for us as your higher usage is for you.

The trouble is that it's hard to change supplier; once you have your collection of (Calor etc) cylinders, it's costly to change company.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:15 am »
Wow, the last cylinder I bought was over £80, although we only use it for cooking so a cylinder lasts nearly 3 years.
 Didn't expect the price to have gone down that much!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:56 am »
Oor Wullie - how on earth do we use 6x as much gas for cooking as you?  ;D

The price has definitely dropped - 6 years ago we were paying £70, and the local trade outlets were charging £90+!

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »
I know many forum members are in Scotland but anyone in the UK outside the Highlands never has to pay more than the (currently) £54.95 for a 47kg LPG bottle.  See here: http://www.woldlink.co.uk/47kg-propane-gas/

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 06:36:20 am »
Womble, we only use gas for the hob (the oven is electric) and there are only 2 of us in the house.  Even so I was amazed how long a cylinder lasted.

And yes I live in the highlands so, despite working on gas drilling rigs that send all their gas ashore to the North and NE of Scotland, we pay more than anyone else !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS