Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drake with prolapsed penis!  (Read 3610 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Drake with prolapsed penis!
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:33:53 pm »
 :&>

My chocolate muscovy drake was runnig around this afternoon with his willy out,  not uncommon after mating with one of his girls but several hours later it hadnt gone back in and was a bit swollen and red... I washed it with warm soapy water and gently pushed it back in. Fingers crossed it stayed put for now.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how you fixed it? Should i keep him away from the girls for a few days? Abstinence might help? Ive had muscovies for longet than I care to remember and have seen all sorts but never had this problem! Hopefully it will still be in place in the morning!

:fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Drake with prolapsed penis!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:58 pm »
Well done for catching it in time.  We weren't quick enough with our drake and by the time I noticed, he'd been dragging it about in the mud all day and there was no way it was going to go back where it came from  :-[.

Personally I'd keep him on his own for a bit to help the swelling to go down without him being tempted to use it. That won't cause him any harm, and it may well help.....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:54 pm »
This has been discussed before - sounds like it is quite common

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=32457.0
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:01 pm »
Its still in today! He seems very happy, so I am relieved... I read all sorts online! People saying cut it off, it grows back! LOL Sometimes google is not a good idea. I am no expert in duck willies but I am sure it would not grow back!?!?

Seems like i caught it in time, this time at least! Hoping it doesn't happen again... he is going to have a period of enforced celibacy for a week or two! hahah

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:01:44 pm »
Its still in today! He seems very happy, so I am relieved... I read all sorts online! People saying cut it off, it grows back! LOL Sometimes google is not a good idea. I am no expert in duck willies but I am sure it would not grow back!?!?

:o :o

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:10 pm »

Seems like i caught it in time, this time at least! Hoping it doesn't happen again... he is going to have a period of enforced celibacy for a week or two! hahah

Wow! If you didn't do anything it could have stayed out, dried out and... fall off! After that he would never become father again!!! It's quite common especially with larger breeds of ducks (exhibition aylesbury) and geese.
My muscovy drake, in absence of females of his own species, tries to mate his SONS. Yes drakes from last year. And geese. The young boys run away from him but he is massive! Heavier than a goose
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS