Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much space needed?  (Read 2368 times)

Shepster77

• Joined Feb 2017
How much space needed?
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:12 pm »
Hi folks, I am a long time reader of this forum but first time poster.
Basically, we are hoping to buy a new house with some land attached to it. There is about 3/4 acre of hilly grass/scrub behind the house and one acre in front. In the fields either side there are sheep so it's not a totally crazy idea.
We are thinking about getting three babydoll Sussex downs as they are a smaller breed. How much space will they require and how often will they need to be moved to prevent worm build up or is this unlikely with only three sheep.
Sorry if this seems a silly question but if we are going to get involved in livestock we want to do it right.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: How much space needed?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:40 pm »
Not a silly question at all - very sensible! 

There are lots of variables though - breed of sheep, condition of pasture, where you are in the country and how high above sea level you are!

We stock at around 2-3 ewes per acre, very exposed hill country in the Pennines around 700-900feet above sea level.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
We are thinking about getting three babydoll Sussex downs as they are a smaller breed. How much space will they require and how often will they need to be moved to prevent worm build up or is this unlikely with only three sheep.
What the Americans call "Babydoll" Southdowns are traditional Southdowns that have been bred small.  If you want to look at traditional Southdowns with no French or NZ blood (these are often bred for long legs and, I suspect, subject to outcrossing to other breeds to achieve it) then PM me to come and take a look at our flock.  If your grazing is good and you're happy to buy in hay during the Winter if necessary then that number should work.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
Will you breed them, or just pets? If pets 3 would sound like a good number to me. If for breeding I'd look around or ask a neighbour that might have a ram that you could borrow and work backwards from that. If you had 2 breeding ewes and managed to borrow a ram your 2 ewes could turn into 6, which would be fine over the summer but might not be over the winter, particularly as you'd want the lambs to fatten

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS