Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming and fluking pregnant ewes  (Read 8939 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Worming and fluking pregnant ewes
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:21 am »
Hi,the first of my lambs are due on the 27th of March. I want to worm and fluke the ewes due to the problems we have been having in the lambs last year. When would be the best time to do this. Thanks
Graham.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Worming and fluking pregnant ewes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:42:10 am »
Fluke now . Worm each after they lamb would be what I do.   Also put lambs out onto clean fields.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:52:52 am »
We fluked with Fasinex in December, and will worm/fluke with a white wormer (probably Rycoben or Albex) when they are turned out with their lambs. This was advice from our vet but it's best to speak to your vet as they know the local area and wormer resistance.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:06:18 am »
I agree.  In our area we fluke and worm the week before the tups go in, then worm the ewes the day before they move from their mothering up pen to the nursery shed.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:15 am »
A question on worming: I understand that there is a 'peri-parturient' (pre-lambing) rise in worm (egg?) numbers in ewes just before (or is it just after?) they give birth, because their own natural worm defences are weaker then.

So if you're lambing in a shed, it makes sense to worm them before you turn them out with their lambs.

However, if you're lambing outside, would it not make more sense to worm them a few weeks before lambing? That way they'll have no worms left to give rise to the rise, if you see what I mean? I can see that with flighty ewes, you don't want to stress them out in the run up to lambing, but since ours are a soppy un-flappable bunch, why wouldn't I do it 2-3 weeks before they lamb instead?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:50:12 pm »
A question on worming: I understand that there is a 'peri-parturient' (pre-lambing) rise in worm (egg?) numbers in ewes just before (or is it just after?) they give birth, because their own natural worm defences are weaker then.

So if you're lambing in a shed, it makes sense to worm them before you turn them out with their lambs.

However, if you're lambing outside, would it not make more sense to worm them a few weeks before lambing? That way they'll have no worms left to give rise to the rise, if you see what I mean? I can see that with flighty ewes, you don't want to stress them out in the run up to lambing, but since ours are a soppy un-flappable bunch, why wouldn't I do it 2-3 weeks before they lamb instead?

With goats I was told it's just after kidding, but recently I've seen something about not being immediately after kidding, but a few days later,
I wouldn't be worming so close to lambing, bit hard on ewe who could be stressed easily?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:52:49 pm by penninehillbilly »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:23 pm »
graham-j ... where are you?   other responders here seem to Fluke very little but may be in a low risk area ... here in Carmarthenshire 3 times a winter is normal using an adult fluke killer for the third dose.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »
, bit hard on ewe who could be stressed easily?

Indeed, but as with so many things, the context is important  as our sheep aren't stressed by being gathered or drenched.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:51:02 am »
Fluke now. And assuming you have an existing worm problem (resistance aside) - worm two weeks before lambing with Cydectin 2% LA - it is a persistent long acting wormer that will mean that the ewes will be able to hoover up the peri-parturient worms.  Assuming lambing outside, if inside you can worm them at turn out.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
graham-j ... where are you?   other responders here seem to Fluke very little but may be in a low risk area ... here in Carmarthenshire 3 times a winter is normal using an adult fluke killer for the third dose.
Yes ditto across here and this winter has been particularly bad so even if you have fluked with the appropriate second dose drug there could still be stages in the sheep usually killed by the first dose so still need to be really vigilant. Also very important to with the vet. In September I was encouraged to buy a combo worker because "it's such a bad fluke year" so I rang the vet and they confirmed this was incorrect.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »
I have a similar dilemma.
I've just moved my ewes onto slightly better grass, so they're getting more grass and less hay. I've noticed a few with mucky bums .... is that just the change in forage, or should I worm now? Last year (my first) I wormed at turnout.
The second question is can I worm and give the Heptavac booster at the same time? This would save stressing them twice, although the booster is not due until 9 March (lambing's due to start 6 April).
Having said that, they mug me every morning when I go into the field with a bucket, so maybe I'm more stressed than they are ........ :-\

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
I have a similar dilemma.
I've just moved my ewes onto slightly better grass, so they're getting more grass and less hay. I've noticed a few with mucky bums .... is that just the change in forage, or should I worm now? Last year (my first) I wormed at turnout.
The second question is can I worm and give the Heptavac booster at the same time? This would save stressing them twice, although the booster is not due until 9 March (lambing's due to start 6 April).
Having said that, they mug me every morning when I go into the field with a bucket, so maybe I'm more stressed than they are ........ :-\
Probably, so no, don't worm yet.
Hep & worm  - Yes you can, if it's an oral wormer. The rule i follow is don't mix injections and don't mix oral products, but one of each is okay.
You are more stressed than them it sounds :).  If you are really worried about mucky bums then get a FEC done.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:46 am »
Thanks Foobar. I'll leave it until around 9 March and do both together. I think the first one to scour now seems to have 'dried up', so hopefully they all will (well the 4 of 13 that are scouring). I'm checking condition regularly anyway (most of them are happy to have a hand on their back), so hopefully that will help me to keep on top of things.
 ..... and chill  ;)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS