Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing and young piglets?  (Read 1658 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Electric fencing and young piglets?
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:07:52 pm »
We have a sow due to farrow in about two weeks time.  Before then we will be moving her into an enclosure which has access to the housing we use for farrowing (it has better human access than the normal ark)  We are planning to split the outdoors area into two with an electric fence to preserve half the ground  for another sow due to farrow later in the spring.

The setup is a shed with free access on to a porch area, separated by a plank from the outdoor bit.  The last litter we had (which was our first) stayed inside on day 1 and 2. where out on to the porch on day 3 and over the plank, roaming the whole outside area on day 4.

Sorry for the long build to my question  - which is: When the young piglets start exploring will they be able to cope with an electric fence - I don't mean will it contain them just will they be ok at that age with a shock or will it fry them?

Thanks for any thoughts .

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Electric fencing and young piglets?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:15:42 pm »
it'll be fine, none of our electric is low enough to really stop the piglets (otherwise the sow buries it) so they get plenty of shocks on the back as the grow up....

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:48:32 pm »
I had the same quandary. Sow used to electric tape but higher than wouldncontain wandering piglets. Because I didn't want them straying too far I solved it by using electric poultry netting - the bright orange stuff. Now I rig that up for the first couple of weeks (I dont have it on week one as they just see it as natural barrier but as they grow and they hit it they bounce back into the enclosure. It only takes a few times for them to learn. It comes in long lengths but can use some of it and leave rest in a roll and stakes are included in it.
Martha R

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:16:22 pm »
I had the same quandary. Sow used to electric tape but higher than wouldncontain wandering piglets. Because I didn't want them straying too far I solved it by using electric poultry netting - the bright orange stuff. Now I rig that up for the first couple of weeks (I dont have it on week one as they just see it as natural barrier but as they grow and they hit it they bounce back into the enclosure. It only takes a few times for them to learn. It comes in long lengths but can use some of it and leave rest in a roll and stakes are included in it.
Martha R

Thanks for that Martha

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS