Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 1595 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Turkeys
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »
Are turkeys worth taking in and fattening for Xmas. How much feed and what to feed them if they were allowed to free range over as much land as they wanted. Would an old ruin be sufficient housing... Is there much work in them other than feeding or could I leave them to there own devices.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:51:21 am »
If you can get hold of a copy of Katie Thear's book on the subject it will give you the information you need.  If you get them young they'll need the same care as chicks, including a heat lamp when small and a secure run until they're old enough to free range.  A ruin would need a roof and be able to be made foxproof and somewhere you can lock them in at night.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 11:02:14 am »
And you need to have an end market for them, also to be prepared ahead of time for killing, plucking, hanging and dressing, especially if the weather is warm as you'll need facilities to keep them cool.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:30:15 am »
Turkeys are really easy. We always raise a few for Christmas and they taste fantastic compared with shop bought !

Sturdy housing a must as they are badger and fox favourites. They also eat a fair bit.

Ours never fly or go into trees but some breeds might.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:13 am »
I found the hatching rates of traditional type turkeys to be higher than my chickens, but also found the poults to be more sensitive and fragile. Mine were always falling over then unable to right themselves, so you need to be around and tending for the first week or so. In fact I kept mine in the house for the first 10 days.

My experiences of free ranging is - they are buggers for flying off over fences and then spending the entire time trying to get back again! Some even roosting on my byre roof! Also the more they range the tougher the leg meat. We did go through a lot of food and yes they take a lot longer to pluck than your average chicken.

I haven't been able to rear any commercial types as they aren't available where I live so they might be different. We reared Red Bourbons, Norfolk Blacks and crosses thereof.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:12:34 am »
Ours have proved more robust than chicks, eat less than a growing chicken, although drinking more water, and are kept in large game netting roofed runs.  They are good fliers (and you don't want to get in the way of a 15kg flying Narragansett stag!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS