Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New wannabe small holder  (Read 1292 times)

Kelbly

• Joined Feb 2017
New wannabe small holder
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:05:18 am »
Hello all!

I have found myself in a situation where we have been offered 6 acres of land for a very small annual payment.  I am in the process of having to make the decision whether to take it on.  So I had thought trying a handful of sheep or maybe some goats.  However I am a total newbie I don't know where to start or the cost implications.   

There has been a herd of sheep there up until recently.  The landowner is putting stock fencing up there for preparation of whoever takes the land on.

I really want to do this but worried it wont go well or financial cost will be too much.

Any advice?

Many thanks

Katie

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: New wannabe small holder
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:58:58 pm »
Many of us did a fair amount of reading and research before we made the decision to become smallholders. There are quite a lot of things that have to be considered. If you have to make a quick decision, is there someone you know with experience of keeping animals who could look at the land with you and discuss the options?

Failing that, spend a weekend reading the posts and information on this website. It will give you a bit of an insight into what's involved.  :)

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:27 am »
Hello and welcome to the best site around!d :wave:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:38:44 am by nimbusllama »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:33:15 pm »
Nice opportunity! And welcome to TAS  :wave:

What do you want to achieve? Obviously not a iving, but a paying hobby? A hobby that doesn't take too much money? Food for your family?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS