Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for pigs  (Read 4159 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Re: Preparing for pigs
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:45 am »
How would you attach an automatic drinker to a bowser? I'm only familiar with the half moon mains fed types that you get in horses stables. The bowser is just a 200 gallon plastic tank on wheels with a 1.5 metre hose attachment? I anticipate that we will more likely be carrying buckets to fill trugs in tyres-all good for fitness I guess and done it for my horse for years

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:13 am »
We once made a pig aec from an upside down tattie box with a plastic cover on the roof held down with turf. Once stuffed with straw it looked really cosey and the pigs loved it. They did use it for scratching but it held up well, as it cost nothing it didn't matter if it didnt last long. Our water was a treck away so the solution was a hose with a tap on the end and if the hose couldnt stay out then a large container was filled and buckets used from that for the pigs. Dont carry buckets too far for too long, it is no good for the elbows and you may end up not being able to carry anything. I speak from experience!
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »
Hello

I have mostly the metal ones which have a solid wooden floor in there. They are not cheap although I got some of mine secondhand. Bear in mind that pigs are MILES cleaner than chickens and they won't foul in the ark so cleaning not as much of a consideration (other than the odd bit of muddy straw in winter). The other option is a second hand oil tank (can find them from oil suppliers & on various websites. These are cheap, easy to clean out before using and ideal for a small number of weaners. Just need a door cutting and I would take out the floor too as too slippy for trotters. Mine first one has survived on windy hillside so far. I don't have mains water and have water collection rigged up on buildings nearby to use as well as bowsers. As for troughs I do the same as Marches farmer and have tyres with plastic horse trugs sunk into them. They can't easily get their snouts under them. Yet it's easy for us to remove the trugs for cleaning. Ps. KwikFit will give you old tyres for free.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS