Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and gorse  (Read 7555 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Goats and gorse
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:04 pm »
Hi we are new to the forum and to smallholding though we have had chickens and horses for some years. My rear field is about an acre in size but is very steep with poor grass and is used at the moment as a winter turnout for the horses during the short days. There is loads of gorse in this field and I was wondering whether goats would eat this? I hadn't really planned to have goats otherwise as we intend concentrating on sheep and a couple of weaners going forward but if they proved a solution to the gorse they might be a good investment. The field is securely fenced and I do have a spare stable that I could use to house goats if we decided to go down that route but can anyone answer the gorse question first? thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Goats and gorse
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
Would have thought goats would go for the gorse as they are browsers.
But if the goats won't eat it then donkeys will. Our donkeys have slowly killed off the gorse bushes in one field. Once the bushes are dead they are easy to cut down without getting spiked. As your field is fenced and has a shelter it might be worth considering donkeys as an alternative.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:25 am »
I have just two goats, an Anglo Nubian and a British tog. They nibble on gorse but don't really eat it. They have had no impact on the bits that grow in their field. Whereas the willow is stripped of all leaves that they can reach. But others with more experience may be able to a broader answer, applicable to more than just two!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:51:16 am »
Yes, the goats loved it. even the hard spikes.
I only had one gorse bush sticky out from the hedge. The goats have stripped it down and I cut back the thick stem.  Not sure if there's any regrowth this year, I'll have to walk up the hill to check.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:27 pm »
My goats like the gorse - they particularly relish the flowers. Mind you when we had horses they ate it too. Gorse used to be used as winter feed for horses I believe.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »
I think it was Edwardian Farm where they collected it, beat it to break/bruise? as winter fodder for horses.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
I really wouldn't think it wise to go and buy some goats unless really WANT goats, not because you need a cheap weed clearance method. Goats are demanding stock much more than sheep - twice a day feeding, shelter available at all times, hay even in summer etc etc. Your fencing also needs to be in tip-top condition, as if the grass/browsings look greener on the other side....

Having said that, goats are the ideal smallholder animal, especially if not much land is available - the provide milk & dairy, meat from the wethers, and are real characters!

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
Thanks for all the replies. It wasn't so much a 'cheap' method of getting rid of gorse. I don't actually want to get rid of all of it as it provides bird cover etc and it would actually be cheaper just to burn it. What I do want to do though is stop it spreading any further and completely taking over the grazing land. The field is very steep so machinery is impossible and even just heading up there with a brush cutter is no easy task! I do actually love goats but if I got some they would just end up being a pet, with all the expense, as I wouldn't eat them and I don't want to be tied to milking every day. So their only use would be as gorse eaters and lovable members of the family. Does anybody have experience as to whether they can go in with horses or would that be an absolute no no?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:41:37 am »
If you don't want to milk why don't you get rare breed Bagot goats who would love all that gorse. [member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] breeds them and also has horses so could advise
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »
If carefully introduced to each other I can't see a problem with horses and goats sharing, not sure horned goats would be that good though.... but goats (usually wethers) have been used in the past (and still are) as companion to horses, often highly strung race horses or where only one horse is being kept on its own.

However my smallholding  criterium is that every animal has to contribute to my holding - be that food (goats, sheep, pigs, poultry, geese) or rhodent control (cat). If the "employment contract" only states - grass/gorse control...

Even pet goats should be vaccinated, wormed/fluked if necessary, fed hay and probably some form concentrate (while they are still growing, probably just some Alpha or REadigrass) and need access to shelter at all times... you may as well milk/eat them and get some worthwhile return on your investment...

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:09 pm »
What sort of sheep do you/will you have? Some of the native breeds browse.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:44 pm »
[member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] you need to show photos of how gorgeous your mob are  ;D

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:41:00 am »
Thanks for those lovely photos which just confirm that I do love goats and even if they aren't going to pay their way might be tempted. The loaning scheme that you mentioned Scarlet sounds interesting. Could you please send me a link so that I can look into it? It may not be available around the Peak District. In actuality the goats would probably go into the 'gorse field' once the horses were out of it as the horses only stay in there until April. We are busy stock proof fencing it at the moment. As for sheep, we are currently considering Shetlands though I have also had an invite to view some Icelandic sheep locally. We weren't planning on putting them in the gorse field but if they would help keep it down?? As you can tell we are very much at the planning and preparing stage at the moment.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29:42 am »
Scarlet Dragon - glad to see the goats continue to thrive. Sheffield city Farm at Heeley have bagots. They are likely to sell some wethered kids later in the year. Also temple newsom at Leeds have bagots.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS