Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Kid!  (Read 3271 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
First Kid!
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:40 am »
Last night one of my pygmy nannies (first timer) kidded outside to twins.  She was 5 days early so I didn't expect her to kid yet, but when I checked the goats last night at 9 pm, I found these twins outside, one was stone cold and dead, the other was very cold but alive...  The mother won't take to it so I've been up during the night feeding it and it has perked up and sucks properly now. 

The question is; how do I make the mother take it as hers, (she butts it when it tries to feed from her).?

I also have another nanny about to kid to a single, so would it work if I tried to adopt it to her?

I just don't want to be left with a single orphan to look after!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: First Kid!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:16:39 am »
It is possible but not always work we twin on lambs to sheep all the time. First I would keep your 2 females inside in separate pens. The one that's kidded- tie her up in the pen and try and get the kid to suckle, If the kid
 is strong enough and can manage to latch on itself, all you have to do is hold the mother. Do this regularly to feed the kid. Gradually she'll realise the kid takes the pressure of milk off. If she is being bad to it in the pen when you are not there make a small pen or put kid in box so mother can still smell it but can't harm it. You need a lot of patience goats are more defiant than sheep. It may not always work.
 If not working and you decide to try twin onto single due you have got to try and be there when she kids. Once you see feet coming out hold her and gently pull out the kid over the rejected kid getting as much fluid off the newborn rubbed all over the rejected kid place newborn over top of rejected kid allow mother to get up and lick them a hopefully she'll lick and bond with both. In my experience  if your not there when a single is born ready to twin on it's a waste of time. I normally bottle feed kids as have dairy. but last year due to numbers of goats I wanted the mother to feed her kids but she did not want them, so I had to hold her by a collar to let her kids suckle after a while she accepted them but you need to keep a close eye on them as a couple of months later she only let one suckle.
Good Luck

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:45:27 am »
Thanks very much for the info Talana!  That helps a lot, I think the kid is strong enough to suckle from her now and he does try to, so I will tie her up and give it a go - I think I will need to hold her back legs down as she tries to kick her kid.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:08 am »
When you have her tied up with her head in a corner. Sit on something with your back against the nanny's hindquarters so you can keep her against the gate/wall and she can't kick and you can see what you are doing. Be easier with a bigger goat!

As Talana says pen them up. My goats have always kidded in the day. They have been free range through the day and always came in to kid. Both always made a lot of noise beforehand. I locked them in at night.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:42:03 am »
I've had no luck with the mother taking to her kid, but I know it's too late now so I have an orphan :)   Since this birth I have had 4 more first timers give birth and all have taken to their kids and are doing well. 
So when it comes to kidding next year, will the nanny abandon her kids again or should this just be a one off?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:35 am »
I would keep going with her a bit longer is that just been a week ?some of the sheep that we put in lamb adopter take a few weeks and goats are more defiant! But sometimes you just can't win, and you just have to resort to bottle feeding which is a plus as you will have a friendlier kid. She shouldn't necessarily do it again, but it is possible as with any of your goats.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:59:14 pm »
I have given up already!  It really didn't look like I would win, but I'm quite happy with an orphan, especially as I've just read bottle feeding guide on the PGC website and I don't have to do a feed during the night - wish I had read this a week ago!!
The orphan isnt lonely either as our male cat has adopted him and spend every minute with the kid which is great ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:04 am »
In answer to your question about next year, she will most likely be fine with offspring, first timers can be a bit stupid about what's going on and what they've to do (like humans) but she will see examples all around her and she will be that bit older, so don't write her off.  One of ours was like that with her first and was a great mum second time around with twins.

Mind and keep your kid super cosy at night - if she's boxed and can't get near the body heat of another animal she'll need some sort of lamp and cosy bed.  She'll need good looking after for about 6-8 weeks like this - the warmer weather should be here by then.  Good luck with the wee one.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:48 pm »
Thanks goosepimple.  I will put her in-kid for next year and see how it goes, it just seems strange that she tries to bite her kid when he's near her - surely he must smell of her!?

The kid is under a lamp day and night, and has the cat for company 24/7, so all is happy!

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:08 am »
Hi, I know this post is from last year, but following on....I put this same nanny in-kid again and she kidded yesterday.  This year she has accepted her twins but will not let them near her udder.  I have been milking her myself and she doesn't show any pain - but still no success with getting the kids to feed.

She likes her kids and stays close to them, but I wonder if there is something causing her to stop them feeding.

Has anyone got any ideas or experiences with this situation? 

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:16:38 pm »
Had similar
Get her in a small enclosure or better still get someone to help hold her
And keep putting the kids up to her teats,normally its best when they are few hours old.
If she keeps moving keep with it , once they suckle a bit she should settle down.

Just keep at it can be a drag but they normally get there, trick is as early as possible

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS