Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peafowl for sale, near Stirling  (Read 3332 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Peafowl for sale, near Stirling
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
These are last year's chicks; two boys and two girls and about 3/4 of adult size.

Three of them have Indian Blue type colouration (as per the pics below), whilst one of the boys has white patches on his shoulders.

What you should know is that peafowl can be very noisy for a few months in the Spring (breeding season), so are not suitable if you have close neighbours. You'll also need a secure pen with a roof to keep them in for 6 weeks or so, so that they get to know where their new home is (if you don't do that, they'll end up back here. Don't laugh - it's happened before!  ;D ). Apart from that, they need nothing more than a nice high tree or roof to sleep on, and a cupful of peanuts once a day.

These pics are a from a previous year, but should give you an idea:

This is Mum on the right (fully grown), and her female chick on the left.

And here's Dad. He's a real stunner!  :thumbsup:

We find them to be beautiful, intelligent birds, who really add character to our smallholding. If you don't already have peafowl, I won't sell just one on its own unless you are also sourcing other unrelated birds from somewhere else. The price is £40 each to help offset the cost of feeding our flock. If you have any questions, feel free to add them below so that everybody can read the replies  :thumbsup: .

Cheers,

Womble.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:21:09 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Peafowl for sale, near Stirling
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:32:16 am »
I have to add that peacocks are gorgeous-with-a-capital-G.  Photographs really can't do justice to how the males look in the breeding season and, as Womble has said, they're actually pretty low maintenance.  We feed ours on layers pellets plus a few peanuts.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »
Womble, I am so glad you aren't near me. I would find it difficult to resist
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »
We feed ours on layers pellets and wild bird seed and I have to agree they are the most amazing birds to have round; And very intelligent.
We do have close neighbours but the birds were here first and they've got used to them. I pointed out to them that to have such beautiful and exotic birds drifting past their windows (and trampling on their plants!) is actually a privilege enjoyed by only a lucky few.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:55:50 pm »
I'd love too, and have the space but I'f get hung drawn and quartered by my neighbours!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »
So how close is too close for neighbours? And how far do they travel during the day?
You're too far from me to get them, but I'd be interested in getting some when I can convince my better half....
William

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:36:07 pm »
They're not really any noisier than a rowdy cockerel, and it's generally only for a couple of months in the spring, though it can be both day and night. Check out videos on Youtube etc.

As for distance, ours usually stay within 100m of 'their' barn, but really it will depend on geography and local circumstances.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

KStrahan

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:18:40 pm »
I am based in Ayrshire and looking for a pair of white pea fowl. Would you happen to have any just now or in the near future? X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS