Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have your geese started laying?  (Read 5930 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Have your geese started laying?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:06:27 pm »
My gander only guards his favourite girl while she lays, and her nest. The other girls he mates with but doesn't guard.

I keep an eye on them and when one goes missing we go hunting for her to see where she is laying.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
I am still waiting for eggs!!!!
Today I sadly realised that one of my two females is actually... another gander!!!!!!!!!
This weekend - roast goose  :eyelashes:

I was wandering why are they making so much noise at night, saw them fighting with big muscovy drake who's been separated but today I saw two of them trying to mate with the female and fighting with each other  :gloomy:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »
My Embden's are which I'm amazed at as their both 10yrs old. The Chinese are all young and haven't started yet

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 02:20:57 pm »
Bah we are getting 2 eggs from 3 geese. One of our geese is looking a bit thin and I'm gonna give her a dose of liquid wormer in a couple weeks when the vet comes out for our yearly check but now it looks like it is her that is laying and our 'top goose' who isn't *sigh*. Definately had 2 geese laying last year, bought a gosling and have seen her on the nest so pretty certain she is laying but no idea why the other one is off lay. Have searched the hedges and no signs of any eggs. Starting to think about pointing our motion sensor security camera at the goose area!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »
My ones are young too (may 2016), but they've been mating for at least 2-3 weeks.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »
yep, Shetland started last week  :excited:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:08 pm »
I just found a stash from my Franconian girl buried in their house
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
Yeaaaaaa!!!
She finally laid her first eggs!!!
As it's her first eggs every  (young goose) she laid it outside next to a shrub. I saw her sitting there for a while in the afternoon, next time I looked there was no goose but a beautiful white egg! So excited!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:36 pm »
My elegant little Shetland goose Minerva has been laying for the past week, one every second day.  The nest she has built is just inside the henhouse door, and gets bigger each time she lays another.  It's like something you would see with a swan on it in a lake.  If she starts to sit we'll need to move the hens out.  Magnus is very protective both of her and of the nest even when they're nowhere near it.  The dogs have learnt to hide behind us, but I don't want to stop his behaviour as he may need to chase off a fox one day.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 08:12:27 am »
Our goose has been laying sporadically for the last week and a half or so, and we have five eggs.

Last night around 10pm I happened to look in on them and she was sitting in the old chicken house we've put in the shed for the nest.  If she's sitting on the eggs all night, but spending the daytime out in the field as normal, is that right for the eggs?  Doesn't that effectively start incubating them every night, only to stop again in the morning?

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 08:58:15 pm »

We are still getting a couple of goose eggs every week. Never seen them lay for as long before, keeping thinking that must be them finished now and then i get another egg. Anyone else still laying and is this normal for you?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 11:27:20 pm »
Wow! The must be thinking it's still spring! Hot june, Cold july and august and then warm again ! I had apples and quince flowering AGAIN in september this year! On one branch they were mature fruits and on the next one new blossom. Really weird!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS