Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joining rolls of hex' wire mesh - best way?  (Read 10748 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Joining rolls of hex' wire mesh - best way?
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:48:27 pm »
The internet/web is truly a wonderful thing, but NOT when it comes to the quickest/most effective way of joining two rolls of galvanized hexagonal mesh (rabbit/chicken mesh etc)!  OK the Forestry Commission has suggested 300mm overlap with clipped rings or wire twists at 100mm spacings, but that's all I can find. 
Not convinced by use of clipped rings, so bought some 1.2mm galv' wire today to try out the "wire twists", but
there must be something better/tidier/more effective!?

What do you do?  (Thanks.)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:17:42 pm by arobwk »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Joining rolls of hex' wire mesh - best way?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:05:26 am »
We take two lengths of 3mm wire and tread it through vertically either side of a 1 metre overlap, picking through both rolls. Bend the top 50mm double and it stays in place. Works a treat and is very fast to do and undo if necessary. Our joints have been in place 4 years in very strong winds here and remain sound.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:39 am »
No great suggestions.  Seen it joined with small pieces of twisted wire as mentioned, or by nailing together at a post.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:19 am »
I'm liking sound of the 2 threaded wires - much obliged chrismahon.
Unfortunately stufe35, metal posts!  Will be battening-up at gate posts though.

I came across small-bore alloy fishing-line crimps last night (much like a Hayes line-wire crimp).  'Tis a thought, but I won't be putting it to the test after all. Again, thanks.   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:54:04 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Have now tried the 2 threaded wire method -  works well and is indeed easily done, especially with pliers to help push/pull end of the wire back and forth while feeding through. Excellent!]

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:36:52 pm »
Small Pig rings & pig ring pliers  to secure a folded over lap is one way .
 if the hexagons are big enough use a steel nail to bend /wrap one wall side's wire  round another on the other piece every five or six inches . 
You'll only need three or four wrap overs to make it very strong  .
 You can also use the same method to use two widths to make a higher fence  .

Black UV resistant electricians cable ties can work out good as well if you buy them in bulk off E bay
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:02 pm »
I used twisted wire to do mine and it works well and isn't overly untidy if you can bed the twisted bit flat.

I also used staples to attach it to wood in places and it does look better. I got a cheap staple gun from Aldi a couple of years ago

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:22:02 am »
Thanks much for the further thoughts cloddopper & Alex_. 
Have used the threaded-wire method so far, but (with other tasks mounting up) I have made a few "temporary" simple hog-ringed overlaps.  Overall, my Field-1 fence is rabbit/deer proof (touch wood), but the slightly loose hog-ringed laps are not to my liking despite it being a very quick method. 
Fencing of Field-2 beckons and the experiments continue!  I might give twisted wire a go after-all (thanks Alex_), but I'm not sure, cloddopper, I fully grasp your method - could you run that past me again please?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:41 pm »
Cable ties! They are the best for everything!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS